Talk

Advanced search

Parent governor vacancies - are they always advertised?

(5 Posts)
chaosisawayoflife Wed 27-Mar-13 11:02:59

I'm interested in applying to become a parent governor at dds' school, however they haven't announced any vacancies. Is it worth asking if they want any more? If so, who do I approach initially? Would it be the chair of governors or the head or the Lea?
FWIW they currently have 14 governors of which 4 are parents.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 27-Mar-13 11:06:14

Parent governor vacancies are advertised when they become available, usually at the start of a school year. Having said that, we've just had one recently. Ask at the school office.

There's also the option of being a community governor if you have a relevant skill or interest.

Tiggles Wed 27-Mar-13 12:15:56

The number of governors depends on the size and type of school. They will advertise when a vacancy arises, but you can ask when a governor's term (4years) is expected to end - our school publishes these dates in the school prospectus I think.

sittinginthesun Wed 27-Mar-13 14:27:47

Yes, they have to advertise, but if you are keen, there are often other ways in. Our school has a number of associate governors on specific committees, who can't vote in the main meeting. I would start by asking the Head or school office.

Wigeon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:50:17

I would definitely approach the chair of governors. We just had a new parent governor join - they definitely didn't advertise, I assume because when they advertised at the start of this school year (ie last Sept) for 2 parent governor vacancies, they only had one applicant (me!) so the governing body has been carrying a vacancy.

Even if you are a parent at the school, you can become a community governor, and there might be a vacancy for one of them too.

14 governors sounds like a pretty full governing body though - but still worth asking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: