Talk

Advanced search

Parent governor vacancies - are they always advertised?

(5 Posts)
chaosisawayoflife Wed 27-Mar-13 11:02:59

I'm interested in applying to become a parent governor at dds' school, however they haven't announced any vacancies. Is it worth asking if they want any more? If so, who do I approach initially? Would it be the chair of governors or the head or the Lea?
FWIW they currently have 14 governors of which 4 are parents.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 27-Mar-13 11:06:14

Parent governor vacancies are advertised when they become available, usually at the start of a school year. Having said that, we've just had one recently. Ask at the school office.

There's also the option of being a community governor if you have a relevant skill or interest.

Tiggles Wed 27-Mar-13 12:15:56

The number of governors depends on the size and type of school. They will advertise when a vacancy arises, but you can ask when a governor's term (4years) is expected to end - our school publishes these dates in the school prospectus I think.

sittinginthesun Wed 27-Mar-13 14:27:47

Yes, they have to advertise, but if you are keen, there are often other ways in. Our school has a number of associate governors on specific committees, who can't vote in the main meeting. I would start by asking the Head or school office.

Wigeon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:50:17

I would definitely approach the chair of governors. We just had a new parent governor join - they definitely didn't advertise, I assume because when they advertised at the start of this school year (ie last Sept) for 2 parent governor vacancies, they only had one applicant (me!) so the governing body has been carrying a vacancy.

Even if you are a parent at the school, you can become a community governor, and there might be a vacancy for one of them too.

14 governors sounds like a pretty full governing body though - but still worth asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now