Talk

Advanced search

Websites to help with literacy learning?

(6 Posts)
Myinboxisfull Mon 25-Mar-13 11:50:21

My dc is in year 3 and is struggling with grammar and punctuation. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a website for teaching / improving literacy skills. I've heard of a site called Education City but don't know if it's any good.

Teachercreature Mon 25-Mar-13 12:35:57

Education City is well thought of yes. BBC site is also pretty good - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/

Also - worth checking that she does understand each term. So, what IS a sentence? A word? A noun, verb etc? Often this causes a problem as the child can't understand the explanation properly. And what is the point of punctuation at all?

Hope that helps!

Myinboxisfull Mon 25-Mar-13 13:58:24

That's very helpful. Will have a better look at EC.

storynanny Mon 25-Mar-13 18:44:36

ictgames.com is good fun but have only used it for infants so not sure about yr 3

PastSellByDate Tue 26-Mar-13 13:17:41

Hi Myinboxisfull:

St. Ambrose Primary has really useful exercises practicing grammar rules in relation to spelling here: www.saintambrosebarlow.wigan.sch.uk/spellingpage.htm

start with Year 3 and work your way through as and when appropriate.

I'd also heartily recommend CGP literacy workbooks (done by year and available most large bookstores/ amazon). They're funny and usefully work through grammar rules. We do maybe a page or two a week - usually when waiting for one DD or the other to finish a lesson/ after school club - these also help hugely with spelling rules.

HTH

Myinboxisfull Wed 27-Mar-13 13:34:41

Thanks for those suggestions. I've heard of the CGP books and will have a look at those too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: