Talk

Advanced search

Hurlingham vs Prospect House School, Putney: Feedback

(8 Posts)
CrazyCurls Thu 21-Mar-13 12:08:00

Hi, need to decide this week on whether to take a place for my DS offered at Prospect House in nursery (to guarantee place for Sept 14 for reception) or reject on hope of getting place at Hurlingham. Would be v grateful for feedback on either schools from parents with kids there. Have read their websites/visited etc but not as good as feedback from parents already using the schools. Hate making these decisions! Thanks v much! confused

Parent247 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:40:20

Wow, you had to accept an offer already?
The first thing that came to mind was that the school is going to rake in a lot of extra cash when children start dropping out when other offers from other schools start coming through half year to a year later.

I suspect that the way the economy is, a few in the waiting/registration lists will drop out concerned about the rate at which school fees are rising in general. I know parents from my DD's SW15 school where 3 of them had lost their jobs (so might struggle to pay fees, hopefully they will find work soon), and another 2 had to relocate out of London to make ends meet (all parents' children were in the same academic year). The school's fees had gone up about 7% or 8% over the year (and I was recently told that it had been going up at such a rate for quite a few years now).

Parent247 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:50:08

Having said that, losing a deposit is not so bad if you get the school of your choice in the end, which I suspect from your message is Hurlingham.
IMHO - Prospect house appeared better academically but that was before they expanded into another building (they must have or will be recruiting a large number of new staff and I am also unclear how good the facilities are at the new building - so the quality of teaching might be different, for better or worse who knows?)
Hurlingham - will be the more convenient option for many as it closer to the high street, local park and definitely has more modern facilities (ie not an old converted house)

PHSParent Thu 04-Jul-13 12:07:29

I have children at PHS and friends with dc at Hurlingham. I think they are both very good schools and don't think there is an outright right answer, I think it is what works for you.

Re the PHS expansion, it has been done pretty gradually, so I do not think that is a matter of concern. There had always been been a second class per year in some years, that had gradually been expanding and having the new building allowed them to do a final push, so that now most years are double intake. But it has been done from the bottom up - no large influx of classes at the top end. The staff expansion has been gradual as well - interestingly I always felt it was very well resourced, staff wise, so there is no feeling of lots of new faces. The Head and Deputy continue to seem relaxed and very available so you do not get any feeling that everything is pulled tight.

The new building opened last year - the facilities are lovely there, and I think more work will be done over the summer. I would have been delighted had my dc gone into that environment. It also means that a bit more space is available in the Upper school.

Look at its recent ISI report, btw: it was very glowing.

Parent247 Mon 16-Sep-13 00:19:30

PHSParent - Is the new building the Lower school 3+ to 7? (I am asking as I am considering taking up a 2014 nursery place for my DS.)

I have just read the report it does read well, and very impressed that all children get to go to their first choice inpendent (although I suspect many had been given steers from PHS into which are their realistic choices).

Granof4 Mon 12-Jan-15 14:51:21

I have grandchildren at PHS and as a retired teacher can say that their academic level is impressive and they are extremely happy.The extra curriculum activities are excellent. I am wondering if anyone knows how many places come up during the year and how many new pupils come in on a regular basis and how this affects the school.
Thank you,
Granof4

Smiley2014 Wed 02-Aug-17 14:07:54

I have been offered a place for reception 2018 but noticed that the head teacher will be changing. Does anyone have any further information they can share?

JK13 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:59:15

Smiley2014 are you talking about PHS head teacher changing? I have been offered place for 2018 reception too and have not been aware of it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now