Advanced search

prep school bursary q

(55 Posts)
vquickques Sun 20-Jan-13 13:59:05

So, ds has been offered a place at a selective prep school. us accepting this is totally dependant on a bursary for which we have applied. My question is, how likely is it that the place would have been given if the bursary isn't going to be forthcoming?? We have had a letter saying we will hear from the bursar next week, but would they have offered a place knowing that there is no way we could afford the fees without the bursary?

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 04-Feb-13 23:03:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 07:33:28

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to see what happens today grin

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 11:39:53

I have put our lives on the line with them and am waiting a response. Really couldn't be more honest so am waiting to hear what happens now. I understand we need to reapply annually and of course, if, somehow we managed to find the funds we would be in a position to pay more. It would just be so sad to have got this far.

BadgerB Tue 05-Feb-13 13:06:44

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 13:11:17

Thank you smile

lopsided Tue 05-Feb-13 13:57:31

Good luck,

I think it depends how far apart you are. I would be very nervous about having my finances at the mercy of the school. I would only consider it if the level of bursary was assured for the rest of my child's time there. Applying every year and or having my child's performance at school taken into consideration would put me off.

boredofironing Tue 05-Feb-13 15:51:13

Let us know.......

One bursar said to me, "oh please don't worry about the annual review, unless you win the lottery or something. It's just a formality."

Really really hoping it's good news.
If not, are there other schools you could apply to??

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 15:52:45

I will smile No other schools. This is the one we want!

WhatKindofFool Tue 05-Feb-13 16:08:36

I was gutted when my DS did not get a bursary. However, he loves the school he ended up going to and I am more pleased with it than I ever imagined.

I got a good thing in the end, just not what I wanted at the time.

Lollybrolly Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:14

Any news yet??? Keeping it all crossed for you grin

vquickques Wed 06-Feb-13 20:12:24

They have said they will reassess and have extended the deadline for us...eek!

adeucalione Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:21

Good luck OP, thanks for updating, having been checking back all day!

vquickques Wed 06-Feb-13 21:35:59

aw! I will defnitely update when I know what's happening smile

vquickques Wed 13-Feb-13 15:15:29

still no news. They will have to let us knw by Friday, as we have to accept/reject by Monday!

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 15:45:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lollybrolly Wed 13-Feb-13 15:51:22

Oh dear - bet your nerves are frazzeld with all this waiting. They may perhaps need another meeting with the governers - hence the wait.

vquickques Wed 13-Feb-13 15:57:37

I am a bit frazzled - yes grin I think I will just wait's has be to friday at the latest. Is it good it's taking this long though.... ??

vquickques Fri 15-Feb-13 18:15:55

contacted them today....still working on it. Should definitely know by Monday. I think this is good!

BadgerB Fri 15-Feb-13 19:06:34

I do hope so. Have been looking for your update a couple of times today..

vquickques Fri 15-Feb-13 19:08:41

they certainly seem keen but who knows? it's all about the money in the pot sad

Lollybrolly Sat 16-Feb-13 20:31:18

Gosh - Can't believe you are still waiting. No news is good news though.

Fingers crossed.

vquickques Mon 18-Feb-13 13:02:57

Just been informed that although they have tried, they cannot do it - not sustainable for the next four years. Disappointed. The one offered was just not enough. Still, at least we gave it a go sad

Lollybrolly Mon 18-Feb-13 14:06:46

Aww thats a real shame. I am sorry. At least you know you tried and so did they by the sound of it. They didnt just say no at the first instance. You all gave it your best shot.

I am sorry.

vquickques Mon 18-Feb-13 14:12:13

Thank you. It's a disappointment of course, but yep, we tried. The current school dc is at is is absolutely fine, it just would have just been a wonderful opportunity, and to have passed a tricky entrance test as well... sad Bugger. <stop sobbing at desk>

BadgerB Mon 18-Feb-13 14:48:51

So sorry! But you did your best, and so, it seems, did the school. No one could do more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: