Advanced search

SATS Revision Guides for Level 6

(13 Posts)
muttonjeffmum Fri 18-Jan-13 18:52:36

Following a conversation with my DD's teacher about the SATs she has said that it would be a good idea to get a book for English and Maths. I have looked on Amazon and I'm not sure which ones to go for.

We would prefer the ones with the questions in with examples.

Has anyone used any. I have been looking for the CGP ones but they don't seem to have them for Key stage 2 Level 6 only Key stage 3.

mrz Fri 18-Jan-13 18:58:01

That's because level 5/6 are the expected levels for the end of KS3.

lljkk Fri 18-Jan-13 19:37:57

I would be delighted if Dd got Level 6s in her y6 SATs. But I'm not sure I would go to trouble & expense of getting a book to help her achieve that. Why are you motivated to bother that much?

Arisbottle Fri 18-Jan-13 19:41:02

I have also been wondering the same thing and was just going to ask at the secondary in which I teach.

I am pretty laid back but would not think anything of buying a book.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 18-Jan-13 19:47:07

DS did the level 6 thing last year (with no extra input beyond that given at school, which was I think quite a lot hmm, and got level 6, but it really, truly makes no difference in year 7. The best mathematician in his class got a level 5 because his school didn't do the level 6 paper. His teacher knows how good he is. 5 or 6 at KS2, they find their place in KS3.

muttonjeffmum Fri 18-Jan-13 19:48:08

I'm motivated and bothered because she wants to do the best she can. We have agreed that if she does one page a day in each subject it will help. That's only on Monday to Thursday. She is already achieving 5A and 5B so it is not impossible (and no, that is not a stealth boast just stating a fact).

Arisbottle Fri 18-Jan-13 19:51:18

My daughter wants to do the level 6 tests because she is super competitive, I do the setting for the school that she attends so know that it should not make a difference to the setting. Although both primaries that feed into us this year will be doing the level 6 tests so we will be getting a few children working at that level . I suppose it will ensure they get into top set, if we have more than we expect getting level 5s.

pointythings Fri 18-Jan-13 20:17:53

My DD did the level 6 tests last year and got them, we didn't do anything extra at home but she did get some extra tuition at school. The school asked her if she wanted to give it a shot and made it very clear that there was no pressure.

I didn't do anything at home because I wanted her levels to reflect the reality insofar as that is possible with KS2 SATs. A lot of the time secondaries find that because of all the cramming, end of Yr6 levels are inflated and they see a dip in Yr7 - that doesn't help anyone.

Myliferocks Fri 18-Jan-13 20:23:58

My DD is doing the level 6 tests as she was achieving level 5's last year. Neither myself or her school are doing any extra tuition.
I keep forgetting that she's taking them this year but I was the same with her two elder sisters. I tend to think they will get what they get in their sats and it doesn't really matter what that is as long as they try their best.

juniper904 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:39:42

Have a look at the CGP website as they have a lot of level 3-6 books. They are counted at KS3, but the levels should be consistent.

muttonjeffmum Fri 18-Jan-13 22:42:43

Thanks juniper.

lljkk Sat 19-Jan-13 10:24:57

I didn't do anything at home because I wanted her levels to reflect the reality insofar as that is possible with KS2 SATs.

That's my feeling, too. DD is quite ambitious and knows she might be put in for L6. I suppose I'd find revision papers for her if she specifically asked.

Am so pleased to report that this term is not just about SATs revision. DD was talking all about science experiments yesterday and is going to a Tag Rugby tournament all afternoon one day next week.

peaches79 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:49:31

Has anyone used the CGP books before?? My DD is currently doing extra tuition at school for Level 6 and I want to help her as much as I can but not sure which books are best. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now