Talk

Advanced search

Does your reception child have spellings?

(28 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Tue 15-Jan-13 09:12:12

Just curious and nosey. DC has had first list home and I was a little surprised at the words, compared to the tiger mother year 1 thread going on.

allnewtaketwo Tue 15-Jan-13 09:14:06

What were the words?

sheeplikessleep Tue 15-Jan-13 09:15:23

DS1 is in reception.
He's learnt all the phonic sounds last term and blending simple words.
Now they're onto high frequency words (first week, words like on, in, said, I, he, the, at, and).

simpson Tue 15-Jan-13 09:21:17

Yes, DD has 10 spellings a week with igh, ie or i/e sounds in them (flies, kite, bright etc)....

Well, she does not have this sound every weekly obviously, but it's this weeks list iyswim....

bluebiscuit Tue 15-Jan-13 09:24:29

They don't send spellings home at all in reception in our school. My DD is in reception, but my DS has already gone through reception in the same school so I know none will be coming the whole year.

I am interested in whether other reception children have to do spellings.

learnandsay Tue 15-Jan-13 09:31:35

Not yet but she has seen the list and remembered it anyway.

PlumSykes Tue 15-Jan-13 09:33:40

Yes. Ten words, and a test at teh end of the week.

allnewtaketwo Tue 15-Jan-13 09:35:03

sad at test for 4/5 year olds. I think that's awful

learnandsay Tue 15-Jan-13 09:38:24

Spose it depends on how it's conducted. I'm all for it. I like the idea that they should know how words are put together. But I think it's far too early to introduce success and failure. So it should be a game.

DewDr0p Tue 15-Jan-13 09:38:48

At our school it starts when they reach a certain stage in phonics I think. So a child who progresses through phonics quicker will get spellings sooner than one who progresses more slowly. I think ds2 got some in the summer term of Reception. Ds3 not until Year 1.

allnewtaketwo they quite enjoy it! It's very low key and they practice at school as well as at home - half a dozen words a week and to start with they can pretty much work them out or they are very high frequency words. Tbh I was dreading it with ds3 as he has hearing issues, struggles with phonics and hates writing - but he is dead keen grin

perceptionreality Tue 15-Jan-13 09:40:03

My dd, who goes to a prep school didn't have spellings until year 1.

DeWe Tue 15-Jan-13 09:54:46

No spellings for any of mine in reception. Dd1 had a few at the end of year 1, and some in year 2. Dd2 had a few over year 2. Ds is in year 1 and hasn't had any yet.
They were all in the top literacy/phonics group, who were first to bring spellings home to be learnt. I don't think it's made any difference to how well they can spell.

numbum Tue 15-Jan-13 10:14:09

Our school doesn't do spelling tests anymore and I'm glad

brainonastick Tue 15-Jan-13 10:16:46

No, and its an 'outstanding' school, so hopefully they know what they are doing!

Beehatch Tue 15-Jan-13 10:29:19

Spellings only started in Y1 for us. They get 6 words featuring their current phonics. We are supposed to practice them 5 times over a week. They are not tested as such, but they use the words in sentences to practice their phonics and handwriting.

CaseyShraeger Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59:00

No, they don't get spellings until Y1.

BarbarianMum Tue 15-Jan-13 11:27:13

Not at our school - in reception they concentrate on the children hearing and trying to replicate all the sounds in a word in a 'phonetically feasible' manner. Obviously English doesn't really work like this and we had quite a lot of 'ther woz a big bang' work from ds1.

Learning spellings starts in Y1 but there is still a much greater emphasis on writing-volume and quality-than on correct spelling. By Y2 we get 9 spellings a week.

Having been initially horrified sceptical about this approach, I am now a complete convert.

Shybairns Tue 15-Jan-13 11:42:05

DS didn't get spellings in reception and is now in year 1 and still isn't getting spellings. They are encouraged to spell correctly but the emphasis is on working independently and so they do a lot of writing by themselves and so spell phonetically. Untill they learn the spelling rules. Which they are taught.

lostintoys Tue 15-Jan-13 12:09:06

No spellings until year 2 here - and the school gets fantastic results for writing.

retropops Tue 15-Jan-13 12:21:34

My son is in reception (prep school) and has just started to get spellings after the christmas break

NoWayNoHow Tue 15-Jan-13 12:31:18

DS has been given a list of 40 high frequency words that we're supposed to help him read and spell, but that's something to do over the period of the year, not weekly homework-type spelling.

megandraper Tue 15-Jan-13 12:34:35

DS (Reception) is doing some spellings at school, but not bringing them home yet - just see a note in his reading book from his teaching saying which words he has been doing.

simpson Tue 15-Jan-13 12:36:03

What words have they got??

DD has a spelling test every Friday. She loves doing her spellings.

MimsyBorogroves Tue 15-Jan-13 13:12:46

No, I know one child in the class does - which strikes me as a bit strange really - but he has 5 high frequency words on his bag to learn to read. He then gets "tested" as to whether he can read them, and then 5 more are added on. In theory, anyway - he has had the last set since a couple of weeks before Christmas, can read them all, but he hasn't had a new set yet. Then again, he's also supposed to get a prize when he completes 5 learning journeys. He has just been given his 7th, and still no prize.

PeppermintCreams Tue 15-Jan-13 22:24:02

At my son's school they have to be able to "read" the 300 high frequency words, then they move on to spellings. He gets 25 words (currently phonetic based HFWs) that he has to learn every half term, but if he learns them quickly he can move on to the next 25, so could potentially learn 50 words over 6 weeks or so.

However he is a bit ahead of the rest of the class, along with two other children. He started learning to read the HFWs in the nursery class. They like to move them on to the next stage of stuff as soon as they are ready. Sorry don't mean to brag just wanted to let you know that it's unusual.

P.S. I put "read" because when he first brought words home to learn he had to memorise them, but by the end of the 300 he had finished the main phonics programme so could sound out all the decodable ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now