Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

For mums in Kingston council - Reception mid-year addmission

(11 Posts)
dearmummy2012 Mon 14-Jan-13 10:46:53

Dear Mums,

We are planning to move to Surbiton and looking for a mid-year admission for our DD in to Reception. Unfortunately, there are not many community schools in Surbiton and we only have a choice of Maple Infant School. We are currently number 3 on the waiting list for this school.

Would appreciate feedback if anyone has had experience of mid-year admission. How easy it is to get mid-year admission in to Reception in Maple Infant if you are no. 3 on the list?
If my DD does not get admission at all... then what other options do I have? And, how long should we wait?
Also, reviews on Maple Infant would be helpful?

Thank you.

Annelongditton Mon 14-Jan-13 11:40:16

You are aware that the junior school linked to Maple is St Andrews and St Marks? I only ask because you specifically mention "community" schools.
Maple is a very good school with a great reputation, you will have to re-apply for junior school places so if you do get a place now it is not guaranteed that you will get one for year 3.
I would be very surprised if 3 children leave Maple in reception, there must be alternatives. I am local, where will you be living?

prh47bridge Mon 14-Jan-13 12:50:37

When you move to Surbiton the LA will have to find a place for you. If necessary they will use their Fair Access Protocol which means you can be admitted to a school that is full, even if there is already a waiting list.

Also, when you move your place on the waiting list will be based on your new address - your current position should be based on your current address. That may move you up the waiting list for Maple Infant.

PatriciaHolm Mon 14-Jan-13 13:38:56

There are a number of state infant/primary schools in the area, and the LA will find you a place at one of them, though it may not be one you specified/wanted; it might be further away, say in Tolworth. As PRH says, your place on the waiting list may change, though you would still be waiting for someone to leave.

dearmummy2012 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:19:44

Thanks for your replies. The area that I am moving into is approx. 0.4 miles from Maple Infant. We are not Christians so getting admission into any other faith school (that too mid-year) is literally impossible. Maple Infant is the only community school in the area and Kingston concil has informed me that St. Andrew's and St. Mark's although a Christian school does give priority to Maple Infant children. I know that I will have to apply to a Junior school in Year 3 but I was going to choose St. Andrew's and St. Mark's.

Had this been a normal Reception admission process, we would have fallen in to the catchment area and shouldn't have been so much of a problem (I guess??).

dearmummy2012 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:45:50

@ Annelongditton: I will moving to Avenue Elmers. Thanks.

yomellamoHelly Mon 14-Jan-13 15:04:41

In this area too. Would expect more movement in larger schools. Maple has 3 forms so you may stand a chance. As others said it's linked to a church school and you have the stress of them getting into that x years down the line, though it's probably not that likely. Personally I think they lost most of their outdoor space when they expanded (wouldn't have suited our ds - was 1st choice but didn't get in) and I know of several parents who've bailed out of it as their children were being overlooked. But what suits some doesn't suit others ...... My sons school is consulting on expanding permanently next year even though the extra numbers weren't in the admissions book (dd starts this year coming). But I did think there weren't many places for the numbers I'd expect to be applying, so the picture might be slightly different come September anyway. Might be worth speaking to the council?

Annelongditton Mon 14-Jan-13 15:07:11

The problem is that RBK is a big borough, the LEA can offer you a school place in Chessington and they have fulfilled their obligation.
The 0.4 miles really does depend in which direction. If you're coming towards Long Ditton St Marys may be worth trying, St Matthews in Surbiton was taking bulge classes some years and my be worth a go, if you're going back towards Kingston King Athelstan usually has places. There have been problems with RBK for primary school places and different schools will be taking bulge classes each year, you need to speak to the LEA to find out where you are most likely to find a place. It is also worth talking to Elmbridge as the borough boundary is Long Ditton, and they may have a place somewhere near you.
The RBK website will tell you the cut off for distance for Maple last year.

PatriciaHolm Mon 14-Jan-13 15:21:25

Maple may be your nearest school in the area, but as Anne says, Kingston is a big borough, and they can/will offer you a place wherever they have got one (which could be at a religous state school if it happens to have a place), not just at a school very near you. If the school they offer is over 2 miles away I believe they will need to fund transport for your child (not you though).

Annelongditton Mon 14-Jan-13 16:23:46

You will probably be offered King Athelstan because they usually have places, you should look at the school and inspection report and make your own mind up.
I would definitely try St Matthews, as they may have a bulge class or a smaller waiting list, and that is walkable from where you'll be. If you are up to a short journey the Berrylands schools aren't far, Grand Avenue, Christchurch. You could also make St Marys short term until a place at Maple comes up. The whole area around Avenue Elmers is a bit manic in the mornings because of Surbiton High, I drop my DD at the junior school and it's mad.
I do feel for you because Maple is ideal, I hope something comes up, I'm sure that once you have moved in you will go to top of the waiting list.

dearmummy2012 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:16:02

Thank you all for your feedback. I am little unsure about your suggestions. As I am not a Christian, I am not sure if any of the Christian schools are going to give me admission as there will be other Christian families on the waiting list before me (Faith schools will give preference to them first irrespective of distance). I agree on RBK being a big borough so they can place my DD anywhere to fulfill their obligation. May be Maple Infant is really our only choice for nearby schools. Has the school become less popular in recent years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now