Talk

Advanced search

Any idea what this writing activity might be for?

(12 Posts)
redskyatnight Thu 10-Jan-13 19:29:33

Year 4 DS has started having 20 (?) minute sessions with a TA and 3 other children in his class 4 times a week. The TA has told them it is because they are good writers and she wants to make them even better writers. DS is not a particularly good writer - I would describe his writing ability as average or slightly above for his age (he finished Year 3 on a Level 3C).

I'm pleased he is getting extra "help" if he needs it (DS is not, as he's missing all the "fun" lessons) but wonder why he might have been targeted in particular? Is it likely school are concerned that he is falling behind? Or failing to reach potential?

I can't ask the teacher as I never see the teacher and parents' evening is after half term. So happy to take any speculation!

HellesBelles396 Thu 10-Jan-13 22:52:32

He might however be struggling with handwriting. We run a similar length and frequency intervention for handwriting. More detail would be needed to work it out. Also, whether the 3c was for writing alone or for literacy generally.

The only way to know is to phone and ask the teacher. I find half three to be a good time.

redskyatnight Fri 11-Jan-13 16:50:38

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not handwriting as he's recently been given his "pen licence" (think that's what they call it) as his handwriting had reached a certain standard. From what he's said the TA read some stuff to them, they talked about it and they are now doing some writing about what she read. DS is not the most communicative child. The 3c was for writing alone (he got 3a for reading).

Possibly I may have to try to get hold of the teacher. At half past 3 he's still letting children out so I suspect that isn't the best time at DS's school smile

LindyHemming Fri 11-Jan-13 18:32:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HellesBelles396 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:14:49

[Euphemai] could be right - or they could be trialling a new program on a small number of pupils to see whether it progresses them more quickly. Defo talk to teacher if you, and your ds, are concerned - or even just curious. We normally inform parents when we start interventions.

CaseyShraeger Sun 13-Jan-13 19:19:05

It could be booster sessions for children they currently project will just miss some target they have in mind but who they think will meet it with some more individual attention. Y4 seems an odd stage for it, though (unless you are in a Kent Test area or something).

HellesBelles396 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:26:31

Casey, what's Kent Test, please?

CaseyShraeger Sun 13-Jan-13 22:04:06

It's the grammar school test they have in Kent (don't live in Kent so don't know a huge amount about it, but my mother is a supply teacher there and I know one of the things she gets called in for is booster classes).

HellesBelles396 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:21:02

I didn't realise that grammar schools still existed. Every day's a school day! Thank you.

alanyoung Thu 17-Jan-13 03:05:57

Yes, speaking to the teacher (preferably face to face if possible) is the only answer. You won't find out with speculation.

HellesBelles396 Sat 19-Jan-13 00:08:02

any clarification from school redsky?

PastSellByDate Sat 19-Jan-13 02:35:48

Hi redskyatnight:

Just an idea, but if you can't get into the school yourself - e-mail the school and say that you're a bit confused about what your son is telling you about his new writing group and you'd like the teacher to give you a ring at a convenient moment and quickly explain what this is about.

To be honest, I think schools do a lot of this kind of thing with the best of intentions and dont' realise it's confusing for the kids or even upsetting and that they have not bothered to communicate to the parents properly about this because, I fear, parents are not seen as any sort of equal partner in the education of the pupils at their school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: