Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finally an end to the reading schemes but some questions...

(5 Posts)
stormforce10 Thu 10-Jan-13 18:16:48

DD year 2 has just come off lime books and come home with a proper 100 page book with chapters.

What do I need to do? Is it alright to let her read to herself and then read bits to me or do I have to listen to every word? she's keen to sit and read to herself but obviously I want to make sure she's managing the vocabulary and understanding the story

Any hints? surely she is not expected to plough through 100 pages out loud?

simpson Thu 10-Jan-13 18:35:53

I asked about this when my DS was in yr2 and was told to listen every night like usual but if they want to read on to themselves afterwards that's fine...

I used to ask DS what had happened in the bits he read himself to check he understood it.

tiggytape Thu 10-Jan-13 18:40:59

It has been a while but we were supposed to plough through with DCs reading out loud for much of it.
We didn't tend to though. Normally DCs would read say pages 1 - 15 aloud and I'd leave a comment in the reading record to note this. DCs would then read more of the book alone So the next entry in the reading record would therefore say I'd heard them read pages 31 - 50 etc.

Chrysanthemum5 Thu 10-Jan-13 20:23:10

I tend to flick through the books so I have an understanding of the plot, characters etc then I let DS read as much as he wants. Then I ask him questions about it to check he's understood. I also ask him to tell me his favourite words from the book and we discuss those eg how would you use them in a sentence etc. sometimes I ask him to read one page to me just to check he's reading the words that are actually written on the page, but that's because he shows signs of dyslexia/dysgraphia He would be incredibly bored if he had to read out loud to me.

Wobblypig Thu 10-Jan-13 22:01:06

Ds year1 is reading George's marvellous medicine, which is about the same length, and we asked teacher same thing. We were advised to get Ds to read aloud and I can see why. It helps with expression and phrasing as well as the odd difficult word. But if your child is very fluent with no expression or has no issue with the vocabulary I would see that letting them read silently and discuss it later would be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now