Talk

Advanced search

Niggling doubts about school choices- help!

(4 Posts)
Mummydoctor Tue 08-Jan-13 15:17:55

First post, so sorry if too long!

We are in the process of applying for primary school for DS1. Had thought we had made a decision, but now getting cold feet about the choices we've put down.

School 1 is our local catchment school - rated good on OFSTED, but a large school (almost 500 pupils). It is popular with our neighbours and the parents, loads of extra curricular activities. I went to look round it, head showed me around. Children were well behaved, head knew everyone's names, plenty of indoor and outdoor space, but it did feel like a big school, especially when I pictured my DS1 there!

School 2 is on the other side of town, so would need to drive. It is a smaller faith school, rated excellent on OFSTED. Popular with most who use it, though I've heard some locals say it is more rigid in their approach to learning. Thing is, I got a better 'feel' for this school, not sue why, maybe just the size of it?

The problem is that school 1 is closer and a walk, lifts could be shared with friends/neighbours(we both work p/t) and our son's friends from nursery are likely to go there too. School 2 is a drive away (5-10mins), has child care facilities on site but we wouldn't know any other children or parents there.

We had agreed on school 1 but now I'm not sure. DH is going to see both schools tomorrow as he'd not been yet. He is favouring school 1 as seems more practical but I' leaning towards school 2.

Any advice or tips from experienced parents?

TravelinColour Tue 08-Jan-13 15:22:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mummydoctor Tue 08-Jan-13 15:28:54

Travelin, completely agree - it would be easier if there wasn't a choice, although

Mummydoctor Tue 08-Jan-13 15:31:03

Woops! Posted too soon - although sounds good in theory having options. Just not sure if DH and I will agree confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now