Talk

Advanced search

Poetry please

(17 Posts)
greentea72 Fri 21-Dec-12 22:37:47

Hi my 6 year old loves poetry she has Done Jabberwocky and the owl and the pussy cat at school. At home we have read roald dahls revolting rhymes. I am now running out of ideas, of any poetry which might appeal. Roger mcgough is a bit old in context as are other poets I am familiar with. Any ideas gratefully received.

maillotjaune Fri 21-Dec-12 22:58:12

Michael Rosen - we have a lovely book which is two of his books in one with a CD. Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and....(forget rest).

Beloved of my children since DS1 encountered him in school nursery and still read / listened to now he is 9.

Also have a collection of children's poems called Because A Fire Was In My Head - some would be too old for a 6 yo bit they will grow into it.

DeWe Fri 21-Dec-12 23:15:51

Windy Nights by RL Stevenson was one all mine loved at that age.
Some of the AA Milne ones (Lines and Squares is still a favourite)
The night Train
Stopping by a wood on a Snowy evening (Robert Frost)
Loveliest of Trees by Houseman

maillotjaune Fri 21-Dec-12 23:18:48

Spike Milligan

AbbyR1973 Sat 22-Dec-12 12:59:07

Lots of suggestions, but we have "The Nation's Favourite Children's Poems" book which has an excellent variety from spike Milligan, to RL Stephenson. We also have RL Stephenson's "Children'sGarden of verse" and AA Milne "Now we are six". Also Axel Scheffler (the illustrator behind the Julia Donaldson book like The Gruffalo) has brought out a beautifully illustrated book of TS Elliot's "old possum's book of practical cats" with poems like McCavity's a mystery cat etc.
My boys (3&5) favourite poems are From a Railway Carriage, The Swing and My Shadow all by RL Stepenson, The Ning Nang Nong by spike Milligan, The first day at school, please mrs butler.

superpushymum Sat 22-Dec-12 15:51:00

Dr. Seuss! I love reading Green eggs and ham to my kids.

mrz Sat 22-Dec-12 15:58:23

Evidence of Dragons Pie Corbett
The magic box Kit Wright
Brian Moses poems

EcoLady Sat 22-Dec-12 17:28:43

The children's poetry archive is a great website for poems and you get sounds files of them being read by the poet.

mrz Sat 22-Dec-12 18:21:41

www.piecorbett.org.uk/#/poetry/4540933084

Takver Sat 22-Dec-12 19:11:47

We have "Read Me And Laugh, A funny poem for Every Day" which has some fab poems in it, most of which I'm sure would appeal to a 6 year old.

Houseworkprocrastinator Sat 22-Dec-12 20:03:28

i used to have the dog catalogue of comic verse not sure if still in print but i loved it.

drjohnsonscat Sat 22-Dec-12 21:57:23

AA Milne. When we were very young.
Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales

Also a book called "I like this poem" which has poems selected by children, grouped by age group.

Tinuviel Sun 23-Dec-12 00:27:13

'A Pizza the Size of the Sun' by Jack Prelutzky - a fab book of poems.

greentea72 Sun 23-Dec-12 16:43:37

Thank you everyone who replied-some great advice.

Takver Mon 24-Dec-12 09:49:43

Another poet who is bizarrely unknown in the UK but perfect for 6 y/os is Shel Silverstein - Where the Sidewalk Ends is a classic US children's book, we also have Falling Up which I love too. (Its worth doing the 'look inside' think just to see his drawings smile )

Feenie Mon 24-Dec-12 09:53:02

My ds (7) loves Michael Rosen too - there are some great videos of his poems at www.signedstories.com and lots and lots of him performing his own poems on Youtube, which are a must see!

GirlsparklesAbel Fri 18-May-18 16:03:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: