Talk

Advanced search

Would teachers rather my DD had the day off??

(14 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 19-Dec-12 18:12:10

Hi, my DD is in year 2 and has severe learning difficulties. She has a one to one helper for all the time she's at school.
She had the day off on tuesday as she was very unwell, saying she felt sick, she has a chesty cough and sore chest and just looks really pale and unwell. She went in today, for her Christmas party as she looked and felt alot better this morning, but as the day wore on she's become alot worse. She was complaining for most of the day, but they didn't phone me as they didn't want her to miss the party. She looked awful when she came home. She was even crying. She went to bed at 5:30 (Her choise) and is now sound asleep.
Should I let her have another day off if she's no better tomorrow? I feel bad about giving her days off now she has a one to one.
Would the teachers think it was a waste of funding, or be thankful she's not spreading it to everyone?

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 19-Dec-12 18:14:22

Don't worry about the funding! Just consider what is best for your dd.

Feenie Wed 19-Dec-12 18:16:03

If she's poorly, she is poorly - funding isn't an issue.

Hope she gets much better soon.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 19-Dec-12 18:17:15

I can speak from someone who has worked with children who have learning difficulties and say, hand on heart that no, we would not be thinking what a waste of funding. If a child is poorly the best place for them is at home with mum or dad or granny or whoever. No child can learn well if they are not feeling great. Keep her home, I hope she feels better soon.

utahforever Wed 19-Dec-12 18:20:44

We would rather you do what is in the best interests of your daughter. The funding is not a problem as the 1-1 can be planning for next term or helping in other areas.

Hulababy Wed 19-Dec-12 18:21:03

I work in a Y2 class and I would much prefer a poorly child stayed home and got better.

Funding wouldn't even cross my mind tbh.

Bonsoir Wed 19-Dec-12 18:23:15

Oh keep her at home, poor little girl! My DD (8) hasn't been to school since last Thursday - she has horrible laryngitis and a cold and is very, very unwell. The only place for her is under her duvet on the sofa, with a DVD and a box of tissues!

mummyloveslucy Wed 19-Dec-12 18:27:35

Thanks everyone. smile I'll keep her at home then.

BooksandaCuppa Wed 19-Dec-12 18:35:01

Hope she's better soon, OP. My ds had 15 hours of 1-1 and I never felt guilty if he was off poorly (one year he was in hospital for two weeks). Your dd's TA will be able to do some other work or planning or help some other children with something for the day. One of the times ds was off for a while, the TA's own child was also really poorly so she was able to stay at home with hime, too!

ImaginateMum Wed 19-Dec-12 18:39:02

What everyone else said. I work as a one-to-one at the moment. If "my" child is off then it gives me a chance to get materials prepared for when they are back, support a different child / group so the teacher can do something else, file all my notes and observations, help with the teacher's prep, etc. There is always plenty to do in a school!

isw Wed 19-Dec-12 18:44:55

Please keep her off, my DD has a 1:1 and I feel bad sending her in when she is borderline but desperate to go in, like for a party, as her 1:1 will spend most of the day breathing in the same air as her and I don't want her to get sick! When DD is off her 1:1 always has lots of stuff to do. There is always another child or children who could do with a bit of extra help or attention. Think of it as an extra pair of hands rather than a waste of resources.

toomuchicecream Wed 19-Dec-12 22:44:56

Do what is best for your daughter. And in the nicest possible sense, I expect the teacher and 1:1 will be delighted that an extra pair of hands is available at this stage of the term for tidying up, sorting out, taking down displays from this term, preparing new displays for next term etc etc etc. One of our 1:1 children is off all week (medical - pre-planned) and the teachers have been gleefully booking her TA to do end of term jobs for them.

Startail Thu 20-Dec-12 09:48:51

Hope she feels better soon, DD2 was off all last week with something similar, and she's never off more than one day.

She was really fed up, but there are some very persistent bugs about. School won't mind. At DDs primary they'd find lots of helping with Christmas craft and end of term tidying for her TA to do. Don't worry.

oldpeculiar Fri 21-Dec-12 22:14:26

Can I ask you just what you think she would learn in that state?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now