Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Level 1C in writing : year 1

(7 Posts)
Campaspe Wed 19-Dec-12 12:44:52

I was told this morning that DD is achieving this. I didn't know what out meant, so have googled it. It seems that the average by end of year is a 1A. Is that the case? Is out feasible she could move to this level by the end of the academic year?

What can I do to support her with this? Should I correct spelling mistakes? She still reverses a couple of letters and doesn't write neatly on a line. She does enjoy writing and her teacher hasn't expressed concern, but I don't like to think DD is falling behind. Grateful for any thoughts. Thank you.

numbum Wed 19-Dec-12 13:10:17

The expected level at the end of year 1 is a 1b. Your DD sounds like she's on target for that. Did her teacher say she's struggling?

redskyatnight Wed 19-Dec-12 13:15:26

As numbum says, expected end of year 1 target is 1B. With 2 terms to go, your DC is well on target - "normal" progress is a whole level in a year at KS1.

Feenie Wed 19-Dec-12 13:37:13

It depends on the school - we would target a 1A as the expected level by the end of Y1, as would lots of other schools. My ds's school uses two levels as expected - 1B and 1A.

It's entirely feasible that your dd will reach 1A at the end of Y1.

littlemiss06 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:45:21

Our school likes the children to achieve 1A by the end of year one, she sounds like shes on track and could reach that level by the end of year one.

PastSellByDate Thu 20-Dec-12 10:58:48

Campaspe:

agree with much of what is said above - it's end of Term 1 and she's a secure 1C so likely to be at least 1b if not 1a.

If you are worried about her writing - Christmas is a great time for practice.

Thank you cards are adored by grand parents, family & friends. It doesn't have to be a novel - but a few sentences to Granny would be greatly appreciated and is good practice.

Letter to Father Christmas: If your DD hasn't done this already - this weekend have her write a letter to Father Christmas to leave out on Christmas Eve.

New Years Resolution: Have her think of 3 things she'd like to achieve in 2013. It could be anything: see a dinosaur, learn to swim, fly a kite, go on a trip, etc...

Get in some magazines/ annuals - there's usually lots of quizzes and other games - all great for writing practice. Given she's Y1 do try and test for appropriateness. I know that CBEEBIES and CITV both do magazines for ages 5 - 7, which probably would be at the right level.

HTH

PastSellByDate Thu 20-Dec-12 11:00:23

Hi Campaspe:

DH looking over my shoulder and just added if letter to Father Christmas is already done - a letter explaining which stocking is which/ where to put the presents and wishing him a good journey is worthwhile instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now