Talk

Advanced search

moving schools at primary!

(10 Posts)
Laura0806 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:20:00

I am about to move my daughter ( extremely shy and a worrier) 6 year old from a private girls school to our local catchment primary. Im not happy that she is getting the all round education I want from the girls school and the class is very small and I feel unhealthy. However, she is very shy and nervous about moving into a mixed large ( 30) class (although not unhappy). The fact that her brother is in reception should also help. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences of moving at year 2 or from private to state and how it went? thanks in advance

canoodle Mon 10-Dec-12 20:22:03

We moved at the start of Y3 from a one-form entry school to a two-form school (both state). DD was really reluctant, but recognised from the start that her new school was a lot more fun and that there were lots of new girls to make friends with. She's really happy - am so glad we did it.

Laura0806 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:27:06

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Can I ask why you moved her?Glad it all worked out, its a stressful time xxx

Floralnomad Mon 10-Dec-12 20:30:38

We moved from private to state in yr 5 , best thing we ever did and wished we had done it years before . Like you we felt that the smallish private school was not the right environment for our daughter.

birdseed Tue 11-Dec-12 20:18:48

We moved a few weeks ago private to state but reception and our DS is only 4y 4 m old. But we also moved for a more all round education and from a private school with v small classes and would have described our boy as shy also. It was absolutely the right decision and he is much happier already and the staff have been very friendly and welcoming.

But I guess it depends what you are moving from and what you are moving to. And what class , i think maybe harder when less play and older. Is she year one or two?

Laura0806 Tue 11-Dec-12 20:43:45

Thank you, shes year 2. Luckily we know a few girls in the year but I am very nervous about it. How long was your son in reception before you moved him? I have broached the subject with her and she seemed curious , a bit worried but also a bit excited so fingers crossed......!

birdseed Tue 11-Dec-12 21:09:25

He did half a term and then a couple of weeks. He had a week out of school while we waited for the place and we 'bigged' him up about the new school during that time which I think really helped. He also vaguely new 2 children in the class before he started and that really helped too.

Good luck. I really hope the move goes well.
I think that how you feel about the new school can rub off on your child, so if you have made the decision then stay positive!

dixiechick1975 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:10:30

birdseed did you post on here about the move ? Local school head teacher unexpectedly ringing you to offer a place? Glad it worked out well for your little boy.

Will she still see any of her existing school friends outside school?

2 children have joined dd's yr 2 class this year and slotted right in as though always been there. I'd stress the positives eg lots of friends to play with, more after school clubs etc

canoodle Tue 11-Dec-12 22:50:00

We moved for social reasons - her old school was very small, has a wide catchment (so local friends tricky) and had some awkward girl dynamics. She now goes to our local school - I know lots of parents, and the social side is great for dds and also for me. I feel she's having a much happier childhood because of the move, and dd2 got to stay with her nursery friends.

It was really tough because she was distraught at leaving. But we keep in touch with some of our old friends, and she's almost ready to admit that she's happier! My advice would be to avoid giving her too much say (increases the stress), do playdates with the girls you already know there, and be supportive as she manages the transition.

Laura0806 Wed 12-Dec-12 09:44:59

Thank you. fingers crossed and glad your daughter is happy. I think friendships is the main thing at this age xxxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: