Advanced search

Please can teachers help me help dd i am desperate now.

(25 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Sun 09-Dec-12 21:07:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderstuff Sun 09-Dec-12 20:14:30

Speech and language therapist might also be an avenue worth pursuing - if she is not understanding the teacher. She must be so frustrated. I would start looking at secondary options - good SEN teaching does exist in mainstream secondary, but just like in primaries it varies. See what is out there, some schools can offer more than others and the schools headline figures - the number of children getting 5 A*-C, don't really do a good job at identifying if SEN provision is up to scratch. Good luck - hope things improve.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Sun 09-Dec-12 13:37:18

Sounds a lot like dyscalculia to me. Like dyslexia with numbers. These children cope much better with sensory help such as the blocks etc, and there is absolutely no reason why she shouldn't be allowed these. I would ask the teacher how she thinks she could help, maybe give physical examples of what she is teaching. Push for help thou. They have a duty to enable her to reach her full potential. Hope you get somewhere. I can't stand it when children get left like this. Teaching should accommodate all abilities. Get the head involved too and ask them their plan.

Whistlingwaves Sun 09-Dec-12 11:39:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Sun 09-Dec-12 11:03:37

The infant school has created inflated NC levels which suggested your child was doing well rather than struggling so hiding her SEN and allowed her to become dependent on an adult. However in 2 years the junior school should have recognised the problem and acted on it. I don't think throwing more TA support at the problem would be useful for your daughter but she does need interventions to teach the skills she obviously lacks.

JuliaFlyte Sun 09-Dec-12 10:57:00

Your description of your dd could be of my ds. He was diagnosed with dyslexia a few years ago. No point in my talking to you about the practicalities as we are in Ireland and the system is different, but here if you have an Ed Pysch assessment ( we had to do ours privately) your child will get the support they need at school.

Whistlingwaves Sun 09-Dec-12 10:49:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Sun 09-Dec-12 10:33:32

I'm sorry to say your child has been failed by the infant school.

Chandon Sun 09-Dec-12 10:15:14

Only those who shout loud and kick up big stinks get the help they deserve, ime, having lots of friends with SEN children.

You really have to fight for it. You sound too nice, if that makes sense, and too understanding of their staff shortage etc. That is not your problem. Your child deserves a good education.

Chandon Sun 09-Dec-12 10:12:19

Throw all your energy into getting her a statement.

My DS is 10 and does not have a statement ( not severe enough) and this means that, where we live, once he goes to secondary he will get NO help, 121 or anything!

Also, from bitter experince, do not expect the school to be helpful about getting a statement, ours wanted as few kids as possible on statements.

Get in touch with the LEA. If you can show your child is not being educated properly, they will have to put measures in place.

A few sessions here and there if they remember really does not cut it!

Whistlingwaves Sun 09-Dec-12 10:06:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Sun 09-Dec-12 09:05:50

What is she statemented for? The school gets paid for pupils with statements to pay for support so I would ask what the money is being used for.

Ask if they have ability groups, usually extra support takes place in groups outside the classroom in areas such as maths.

Maths is a tricky subject, and IMO needs lots of sensory input such as blocks, socks to count in pairs, sweets for multiplication and division. Look on the Internet for worksheets that involve cutting and sticking etc. they love these, and it helps the info to go in. You can do all this at home. Also, baking, let dc get involved in the weighing etc. talk about shapes too. Maths isn't just 1+1, it covers shape, measurement etc too so talk about it wherever you can as it will make other things easier to understand.

Get a meeting booked with headteacher ASAP thou and find out what they are doing and what they plan to do.

Hth. Good luck!

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 23:52:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 23:50:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderstuff Sat 08-Dec-12 23:36:27

Secondary schools still have TAs - sounds like a bit of a cop out excuse, more progress she makes before she gets to secondary the better. One of the feeder primaries I work with have good results and the more able are clearly really pushed - they seem to offer no support for the less able - very frustrating. Often the best schools SEN wise are those with the lower scores - when they have a high proportion of children with needs they have to get good at dealing with them.
Anyway I would find out if she is on the SEN register, it will make a difference on how she is dealt with at secondary - we have some very weak children who came to us with no reported SEN and I am only now getting to do assessments - because priority is Statements then SA+ then SA.. If they don't want to give her TA and they don't want to give her a laptop then what exactly are they doing for her? If she finds it easier to process using a computer then it seems to make sense to let her use one at least some of the time, important that she is able to succeed as much as possible.

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 23:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderstuff Sat 08-Dec-12 23:16:15

School sounds poor tbh, I work in secondary and it amazes me the differences in support that children get at different primaries.

What's the deal with the laptop, what consultant wants her to use one and why? What issue does the teacher have? I would be pushing for regular review meetings with the school, put the pressure on them, they need to be doing something different because she isn't making progress. She definitely needs an IEP and it sounds like the school is out of ideas so they do need to get Ed Psych in asap. Have you met with the school SENCO?

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 23:10:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 23:07:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderstuff Sat 08-Dec-12 22:57:06

Why don't they have a TA to support her? Has she been seen by Ed Psych?

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 22:55:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 22:53:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Sat 08-Dec-12 22:48:49


have you had eyes tested by a behavioural optometrist, they can look at things like eye tracking

hearing test recently?

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 22:33:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whistlingwaves Sat 08-Dec-12 22:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now