Talk

Advanced search

School wants GP sick note for any further absence!

(135 Posts)
RaisinBoys Wed 05-Dec-12 20:51:45

DS off school for 4 days, then additional 1 day following week. Called on each day of illness to report and sent email to office and teacher when he returned explaining illness and confirming dates.

He is not a sickly child so rare for him to be off school. In 6 years aside from this period of illness we can only remember 1 other week long period for chickenpox.

Scroll foward 2 weeks - just had letter from Education Welfare Officer stating that "any further days of sickness must be supported by GP letter!" and "if your [DS] continues to have days off sick we wil refer him to th school nurse who will contact your GP to determine if there are any underlying issues/problems".

We are fumiing!! (Well I am, DH just thinks "schools are agencies of the state whose sole function is to train children to conform in the future and this is par for the course").

I think this is a ridiculous over reaction and that GP's have better things to do than authorise childhood illness in children who for the most part attend school.

Aside from the difficulties in actually getting a GP's appointment in the first place....

difficultpickle Sun 09-Dec-12 11:26:27

I can see what schools are trying to do but it is a ridiculous burden to add to GPs most of whom are already drowning in the workload they have. Ds was off sick on Friday with a stinking cough/cold. It is a bug he has had a week so I wouldn't bother the GP with it unless it got a lot worse.

mrz Sun 09-Dec-12 11:34:41

agree that it's ridiculous but so are many of the directives ...it's all about jumping through hoops and getting worse.

nappysan Sun 09-Dec-12 15:02:53

lucky you that your school cares so much!

user1484429451 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:56:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lunchboxtroubles Sun 15-Jan-17 09:27:03

As a GP, I would only provide such a letter on written request from the school with the parents written consent. There would be a significant fee, designed to stop the school asking again. We don't have time for this rubbish.

lunchboxtroubles Sun 15-Jan-17 09:27:47

To be clear, fee to be paid by the school, letter to be released only on receipt of the fee. We understand that this is schools being silly not parents.

mrz Sun 15-Jan-17 09:56:55

^*"
Code I: Illness (not medical or dental appointments)
Schools should advise parents to notify the school as soon as possible when a child is ill.*^ _^*If the authenticity of illness is in doubt, schools can request parents to provide medical evidence to support illness*^_^*. Schools can record the absence as unauthorised if not satisfied of the seriousness of the illness but should advise parents of their intention. Schools are advised not to request medical certificates unnecessarily (particularly retrospective certificates), especially if the illness was not treated by a doctor at the time.*^ _^*Medical evidence can take the form of prescriptions, appointment cards, etc. rather than doctors’ notes.^_^

Code M: Medical or dental appointments
Missing registration for a medical or dental appointment is counted as an authorised absence. Schools should, however, encourage parents to make appointments out of school hours. Where this is not possible, the pupil should only be out of school for the minimum amount of time necessary for the appointment."*^

https://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/downloadableDocs/Advice%20on%20School%20Attendance%20-%20Final.docxcx*^

Mary21 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:14:19

Everyone should be encouraging parents to treat minor ailments with home remedies and over the counter stuff from pharmacists. Most coughs colds, sore throats, tummy bugs, uncomplicated chicken pox etc don't need GP appointments. Schools pushing parents to GP,s are doing everyone a disservice.
However in the area I work in many parents take there children out of school for prolonged periods to visit family in other countries. They take children out of school for a full day for travel vaccinations rather than an hour. The attendance figures must be dreadful.
Workers can self certify for the first week of illness. Schools must do the same or be charged .
We are in a situation where a+e is overflowing. People are going there in exasperation be cause they can't see a gp or got fed up with calling every morning to be told all our same day appointments are taken. Call back tomorrow. And some of these same day appointments are taken by parents whose children just need a couple of doses of paracetamol and a duvet day. Not dragging to the GP because the school will want a medical certificate.

jamdonut Sun 15-Jan-17 17:30:59

I kind of get the feeling that , as you are a governor, they were doing things by the book!
I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, as you also followed the "the rules", with regards to phoning in etc.
The wording is designed to make those who do not follow the rules think twice.
For instance, we have a child in our class who is seriously behind in all areas and has rubbish attendance. The child was off for a couple of days(last week) ,again ,when we found out from one of the children that s/he was on a fortnight's holiday. I think this child's parents are definitely in line for a fine when they get back...hmm
We have another child who is off ,regularly , on Fridays and Mondays.
We think those are the weekends they go to stay with their other parent.
Unfortunately, sometimes you can get caught up and become a statistic amongst those who are genuine serial offenders who need telling!

Ohmuther Tue 17-Jan-17 12:06:27

OP This is modern life, & it is WRONG. Education by spreadsheet, distrusting parents, fining parents, taking parents to educational tribunals. My DD is autistic with severe anxiety. She had a mental breakdown before half term (she was 8). School seem to think I was imagining it even when I had the practitioner from CAMHS sitting next to me, as concerned as I was. I had a reprieve from the 1st round of prosecution as the CAMHS lady somehow got the consultant paediatrician for our borough into a meeting to pull rank on the HT. I am now back to square one - get child in on time or face prosecution. It is sickening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now