Talk

Advanced search

Can I apply again next year if I miss my first choice?

(7 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:47:24

My son is three and I'm going to apply for his school next year.

I was wondering what if we don't get our school of first choice. Then, next year can we apply again even if we don't move our house yet?

My sincere thanks,

prh47bridge Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:28

If your child is on the waiting list you should not need to reapply. Some schools only operate a waiting list for Reception until Christmas and don't have a waiting list for other years at all. If that is the case with your preferred school you can apply again even if you haven't moved house.

nextphase Sun 18-Nov-12 16:57:46

I don't think you can "apply" again, but I'm fairly sure you can go on a waiting list for your preferred school.
I'm assuming your referring to reception year, not a nursery year, tho.
If your applying for Nursery, its a completely different system for reception.

prh47bridge Sun 18-Nov-12 17:23:19

I stand by my answer. No need to reapply if there is a waiting list in operation but you can reapply at any time if there is no waiting list.

5madthings Sun 18-Nov-12 17:28:47

You can do an in year application at any time if there is a space available. Your best bet will be to go on a waiting list and keep checking with the scho or lea to see if any spaces have come up.

admission Sun 18-Nov-12 17:33:25

The difference here is between applying and appealing.
You can apply for a school place as many times as you want if there is not waiting list, however you are only allowed one appeal for a place at a full school in each academic year, unless there is a material change in your circumstances - moving house would certainly count under that criteria.

Fiona2011231 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:34:53

Thank you for your wonderful advice. I really appreciate it.

@nextphase: yes, I meant the reception class for those who turn to 4 next year.

Regards,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now