Talk

Advanced search

What are magpie groups.

(12 Posts)
TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 18:13:17

Dd tells me she has been put in a magpie group for literacy, she is y2. From what she says it seems to be a fairly mixed group so I couldn't work out if it was for excelled work or extra help. Anyone know what it is?

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 18:29:59

languagepedantic Thu 15-Nov-12 18:33:49

Means that groups in her class are named after birds .......

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 18:37:44

No that isn't what it is they have colours for litre racy and shapes for numeracy, from she tells me it is a specific tool or model associated with stealing vocabulary and story telling, that only a small number in her class are taken out for.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 18:40:19

I googled it and got the vocabulary stealing but couldn't work out why only a small group.

Goonatic Thu 15-Nov-12 18:40:26

Magpie-ing (?) is as you say, using ideas that other people have given, I have a 'magpie wall' in my class for children to go and look at the words stuck on there, and use the in their own work (all words have been generated by the children).
Could be a specific intervention to leap them to choose better adjectives or sentence starters, or could be an extension group to push them further forward? Ask the teacher, am sure they will tell you!

Goonatic Thu 15-Nov-12 18:40:54

Help, Not leap!

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 18:42:06

Thanks seems to be that, will ask the teacher.she really enjoyed it anyway as the get to act out stories she said.

mrz Thu 15-Nov-12 19:59:53

talk4writing.com/id32.html

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 22:07:48

Maybe this Mrz looks great for children if it is, very innovative and energising. Maybe explain why it seems to be a mixed group, however why not implement in the whole class, unless they are doing a pilot study.

mrz Thu 15-Nov-12 22:14:01

I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it as a whole class ...that's how we work.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Thu 15-Nov-12 22:25:41

Seems odd. My dd is in the top literacy group and when I asked who was in this group she gave me mostly names from her group but not all of them and two or three others, from other learning groups. Which is what I couldn't work out. Think I'm best asking the teacher. My initial thoughts was a mixed group may help develop other learners but doesn't seem to fit with what I googled from your link. About which children benefit. They set out four groups, so I would have thought each group would be working for different outcomes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now