Talk

Advanced search

How do I sound out this word?

(12 Posts)
lunar1 Thu 15-Nov-12 12:53:47

DS1 has come home with a book titled 'Rescue'. how do you sound out the cue part?

Sorry, i'm sure it should be obvious but i don''t want to get it wrong, i'm a phonics dummy. While i'm here though can someone rescue me from bloomin Rob, Pen and Ben!

RueDeWakening Thu 15-Nov-12 13:12:28

I think the ue bit is just a magic e, no? The magic e turns the letter sound into the letter name so that's why it's pronounced "you" IYSWIM.

I'm sure someone who actually knows will be along shortly... grin

mogandme Thu 15-Nov-12 13:14:41

If I was sounding out for my 5 year old charge whose just started reading I would say "R" "e" "s" "cue"

Pozzled Thu 15-Nov-12 13:18:08

R-e-s-c as normal, then just say 'in this word, these two letters make the sound 'yoo'.

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 13:19:05

'ue' is a phoneme with the 'oo' sound so spell it out R-e-s-c-(y)oo

mycarscallednev Thu 15-Nov-12 13:20:30

Tbh, not every word works with phonics, there are some that the child will just need to recognise, trying to sound everything regardless is confusing. How would you sound 'because' for example?

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 13:22:35

'au' is the phoneme is because and gives and 'aw' sound so it makes it
be-c-'aw'-se (with a silent e)

mycarscallednev Thu 15-Nov-12 13:22:37

...as vodka says - but then the confusion begins again if they need to spell the word!

lunar1 Thu 15-Nov-12 13:25:47

To me this word seems to difficult for the level he is at. The books are red booster ones but school have stuck pink labels on so they must be the first book band i think.

He is doing really well reading the content of the book, and telling me what is happening on each page. its just some of the titles seem much harder to me.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 15-Nov-12 13:26:59

what vodka said
ue is a fairly common digraph - argue, blue, glue

lunar1 Thu 15-Nov-12 13:28:55

ok, so i'm going with r e s c ue. Thank you everyone!

Smartiescoffer Thu 15-Nov-12 13:29:52

Ruth miskin did some really good flashcards which have sentences for all the yoo sounds such as "chew the stew" "huge brute" etc can't remember the one for ue off the top of my head. My dd will say how do I spell enjoy, for example, and I can say it is "oy" as in toy for a boy, not oi as in spoil the boy. Does that make sense? She can remember the spelling patterns from remembering the sentences on the flash cards. The cards are on amazon, read write inc. and it's the more phonics flashcards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now