Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a pair of boys school shoes that won't wear out within a few weeks?

(20 Posts)
NotMostPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 10:09:35

DS's school shoes have worn through on the side again, it's due to playing football at playtime. I'm all for him playing any sport but this is the second pair he's had since September. I've tried more expensive ones from Clarkes and less expensive ones from M&S - they all die within six weeks. Can anyone recommend some hard wearing boys shoes that last? He is 9 and has size 5 shoes.

MegMogAndOwl Thu 15-Nov-12 11:09:00

There's another thread about this, I'll try and link it

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/1611660-Recommendations-for-boys-school-shoes#add_message

Hopefully you'll find something suitable from these suggestions

NotMostPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 11:29:52

Thank you, I should have known to search.

hardboiled Thu 15-Nov-12 17:31:24

Watch out for synthetic, it doesn't breath.

I've always bought Starrite. For me it's essential that they're 100% leather in and out. They're very good and last all the way through football and mud to actually becoming too small for him. I throw them away still in one piece.

anklebitersmum Thu 15-Nov-12 17:35:15

If you buy from Clarks and they die within 6 weeks take them back-they'll replace them. They pride themselves on hardwearing, well fitted shoes. I buy the ones that are shoe-like not trainer-like in Clarks and with a weekly polish they survive my lot really well (and if they don't they go back wink ).

teacherwith2kids Thu 15-Nov-12 17:38:02

Startrite / Rhino.

Like www.startriteshoes.com/erupt

or

www.startriteshoes.com/crater

The 'Teflon'/Rubber type stuff covering the toes and heels really does work. Apart from the pair that the fox ate [long srtory] they always lasted sports-mad DS for a year.

or even this (DS now has these for secondary)
www.startriteshoes.com/dylan

Selim Thu 15-Nov-12 17:38:20

Ricosta, but they are £££. Probably not as expensive as buying shoes every 6 weeks though.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 15-Nov-12 17:44:03

I am on my third pair since september OP I feel your pain. I bought ds a pair of boots (they look like work boots) they are really chunky and seem solid.

3rdnparty Thu 15-Nov-12 17:52:19

Would also recommend Ricosta, ds scoots/plays football etc in his and they always last until he outgrows them... Try designershoesforkids.co.uk they sometimes have them on offer.

Bobyan Thu 15-Nov-12 21:12:56

My DS got through a pair each half term - the only ones that seem to last are Kickers.

NigellaEllaElla Thu 15-Nov-12 21:28:55

My DS has his from Clarkes and his have lasted 9 months but now have a small hole. I'm happy with 9 months though given the fact he drags his feet, scuffs the fronts, is always falling over, playing football etc etc.

anothercuppaplease Thu 15-Nov-12 21:58:21

I broke the school rules this year and bought these [www.skechers.co.uk/style/95423/ragged-dox/blk] they are not supposed to wear trainers but I got away with it and they are brilliant. Very hard wearing. The sole is still in OK condition now and he started wearing them in September. I will stick to these shoes until I get told that he can't wear trainers...

anothercuppaplease Thu 15-Nov-12 21:58:50

oups I meant www.skechers.co.uk/style/95423/ragged-dox/blk

Ponders Thu 15-Nov-12 22:01:43

do Clarks still do Bootleg? I had 2 fairly rambunctious boys & Bootleg used to last them quite well...

VBisme Thu 15-Nov-12 22:04:14

Start buying Dr Martins, they'll last, I promise (but they aren't cheap).

lemontruffles Thu 15-Nov-12 22:15:13

i bought my sons dr martens or cat shoes because we'd tried everything else, spent £££s, and nothing lasted more than a few weeks. They looked like great, a chunky look, and the shoes were expensive, but, by 'eck, they lasted! Only had to be replace when they'd outgrown them!! A couple of pairs lasted 18 months!!

Both makes had a sticky-out ridge around the edges that was properly stitched through all the layers, and that seemed to protect the main body of the shoes a lot. And they didn't fall apart. Wonderful shoes.

monkey42 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:15:39

another vote for start rite. mine have consistently lasted an enitre ( boys playing football ) school year, unless i've had to change due to growth. proper leather shoe type, cost about £40 but worth every penny over the course of the year

NotMostPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 23:35:53

The thing is I've bought from Clarks and Starteight before and try to get ones with the extra rubber bit around the toe and still they die. Has anyone tried Geoxx?

jai38 Fri 16-Nov-12 05:54:43

We use Clarks leather and geotex coated but the only reason they really last is my husband polishes them every day so always look good and are not being corroded by outdoor crap being left on them. Also we ares trick about school shoes only being for school don't know if this makes a difference.

We have had two pais so far and only replaced on out growing

bunjies Fri 16-Nov-12 07:36:19

I agree that polishing shoes makes them last longer. We bought 13 year old ds a pair of bootleg shoes a year ago & we're only replacing them now - with another pair. He also plays footy at school. A few minutes once a week is all it takes but it makes a real difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now