Talk

Advanced search

Ks2 teachers, what scheme do you follow in literacy? Do you rate it?

(4 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Wed 14-Nov-12 17:52:10

We currently don't have one in our school with everyone just dipping in and out of text books they fancy to meet learning objectives.

I'm really interested to know which scheme is used throughout your school for writing, grammar, punctuation etc.

Many thanks

mrz Wed 14-Nov-12 18:00:52

We haven't managed to find a published scheme that fulfils our needs so I'd be interested in the replies.

muppet1969 Wed 14-Nov-12 18:03:17

No scheme! We all plan our units according to the objectives based on real books, incorporating grammar, punctuation etc. So, so far this year we've done 'The Giant's Necklace' and 'Macbeth'. Have covered: diary writing, short stories, description, non-chronological reports, journalistic reports as text types and complex sentences including subordinate clauses, speech, descriptive techniques, fronted adverbial sentences, commas in a list and between clauses, semi-colons, passive sentences and direct and reported speech in grammar. Phew - i feel tired just writing it! All of these things have been covered through the text. I hate schemes - planning for yourself gives so much more creativity and flexibility. I love delivering my literacy and (mostly!) the children love the lessons. Everybody wins!

teacherwith2kids Wed 14-Nov-12 19:47:02

No schemes here. Very wide ability ranges across very individual cohorts, it's very much a 'plan what the class in front of you needs' approach rather than a 'start from a scheme which presupposes an 'average' class of 'average' children.

Unit plans based on 'real' books, strongly linked to topics / themes within the class. We do use the Ros Wilson 'VCOP' ideas loosely, in that we put more focus on punctuation 1 term, connectives the next, openers the third BUT all of that teaching is in the context of the unit plans.

I virtually never re-use plans, because we have a wide-ranging topic rotation and I then like to look for books that will really excite the particular class I have which are linked to that topic...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now