Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Prep schools and staff Christmas gifts?

(11 Posts)
shoppingbagsundereyes Tue 13-Nov-12 19:32:34

We have moved our children to a prep school this September and didn't go to independent schools ourselves so are unsure what the etiquette is with Christmas gifts. Do we still buy for teachers and TA's? My instinct is yes as although we are paying for school the teachers still aren't on massive salaries and it is nice to be thanked. If yes to gifts, what is the typical spend? I used to spend between £5-10 on gifts at ds' old school but don't want to appear tight. Are people really lavish with gifts? Thanks

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 13-Nov-12 19:34:54

We tend to do class gifts and the class reps co-ordinate - the average is £10 per family.

However when we've had an amazing teacher I've bought a different gift - last year I bought a diptyque candle for eldest's teacher as she was fantastic.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 13-Nov-12 19:35:45

Very often at DD's school we all club together and get a big thing from all of us. Do you have a class rep to ask?

shoppingbagsundereyes Tue 13-Nov-12 19:45:32

Will email the class rep. Am I going to look bonkers emailing in november? I tend to be super early with Xmas stuff. Would think a class gift would be a much better idea then they get something decent.

LadyInPink Tue 13-Nov-12 19:51:31

My DC is at a primary prep and the parents tend to buy Christmas gifts individually and at the end of the year the whole class clubs together (via the class rep) to buy one large gift. That way the teacher gets lots of little things one time in the year and one big gift at another time.

Every year we have made homemade gifts. One year gingerbread Christmas trees, another year fudge and last year a Christmas decoration. They are really well received however nothing is better received than a homemade card from the child in a teachers opinion i've found.

Nobody keeps tabs on who spent what or the most so do what you feel but imo £5-£10 is ample.

wotachoice Tue 13-Nov-12 20:43:52

we do a class collection, £20 each and the class rep gets vouchers for the teacher and TA. Did the same when they were state.

trinity0097 Tue 13-Nov-12 20:56:14

I work In a prep school, it varies, sometimes the parents club together to get some vouchers for the teacher, other times they buy individually. Some parents spend way more than others, but we don't mind, we just prefer it if the child has listened to hints about what we like and dislike! I hate having to pretend that I will really enjoy drinking the bottle of wine/bubbly when I am tee total! Generally speaking if buying individually it's usually a box of chocs/bottle of wine/nice scented candle, I doubt if many spend more than £10, the majority probably around £5 but some way more e.g. 3 yrs ago the head and housemaster both got an iPad from a parent!

picturesinthefirelight Tue 13-Nov-12 21:00:17

Individual gifts at my children's school. A box of chocolates, flowers something pretty from a local craft shop. I spend about £5 usually although I've started spending a bit more and buying oxfam unwrapped presents like school books or dinners in the 3rd world and get a little magnet, calendar or choc bar.

Toughasoldboots Tue 13-Nov-12 21:01:29

It's £10 each at dd's school, class rep organises it. Usually theatre vouchers , Jo Malone perfume ( wouldn't be my choice as so personal) or similar.

Christmas , we do a hamper with everyone buying something each to put in.

Dd's teacher has been exceptional this year and gone way above her duty so I might get something etc.

Your class rep should help you out.

LadyInPink Wed 14-Nov-12 10:17:03

Ooooh I love the hamper idea with everyone putting something in smile

shoppingbagsundereyes Wed 14-Nov-12 11:07:05

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now