Talk

Advanced search

Y2 - what's academically most important at this point in the year?

(5 Posts)
NorhamGardens Tue 13-Nov-12 13:10:33

What's valued most by school at this stage in literacy and maths?

What can we usefully do at home to give children a bit of a boost?

wigglywoowoo Tue 13-Nov-12 13:36:02

I think it is all valued but literacy takes prescedence, as being able to read and comprehend is essential for accessing the curriculum.

I think you should ask the teacher regarding what to do at home as they would be best placed to highlight the areas to focus on. This may or may not work as my DD's teacher doesn't want her to do anything other than read daily at home and complete the weekly homework.

PastSellByDate Tue 13-Nov-12 13:55:34

Hi NorhamGardens:

Cumbria grid for learning has a nice list of what should be covered by year for maths here: numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=185 - just select Y2.

And for literacy here: www.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=781 - just select 'Core Learning by Year'.

Useful resources for at home:

Highly recommend BBC bitesize KS1 games: these help prepare in areas of maths/ literacy/ science for KS1 SATs and really highlight any areas of weakness. Link here: www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/

BBC Learning [BETA] website has some brilliant resources for KS1 by area of curriculum here: www.bbc.co.uk/schools/teachers/ - just select the KS1 tab in the orange box mid left and then the appropriate area of curriculum. There are links to games/ worksheets/ videos, etc....

BBC Class Clips: also has brilliant video links to support areas of the curriculum here: www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/

Crickweb - link here: www.crickweb.co.uk/Key-Stage-1.html
Select KS1 on the blue menu bar at top of screen and then scroll down to area of curriculum. Great games to support learning.

Woodlands junior school: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/
These are support materials for KS2 pupils - but nonetheless there are a lot of materials there to support Y2 pupils.

It's really hard for me to say what is academically most important for your DC without knowing where's she is at. Right now I'd say it's about core skills in reading, writing and mathematics and obviously applying those to other areas of the curriculum, like science or history.

Reading: Should be moving to free reading, able to decode words (even multisyllable words) reasonably well.

Writing: moving from print to 'joined up' cursive writing. Some understanding of grammar - sentences start with capital letter and finish with punctuation. Some breadth of understanding of punctuation - full stop (.), question marks (?), etc. A VCOP diagram may help to explain the progression of skills in this area: www.primaryclass.co.uk/files/english%20pdfs%20and%20pics/VCOP_Pyramid_Lvl_1-3_final.pdf.

Ros Wilson devised this and there's a video of her here explaining this system: www.oxfordschoolimprovement.co.uk/professional-development/issueVideo/Dev-Writers-Voice-VCOP/ros-big-writing. I'd just add that your child is probably at the earliest stages of learning to write - so really it is about getting ideas down on the page, rather than insisting on everything spelled correctly and use of ambitious vocabulary/ punctuation. It's about gradually developing confidence to use more punctuation, clauses, ambitious vocabulary as time goes by - over the fullness of time especially in KS2.

Finally my main advice is to read! Really encourage reading, and don't rule out continuing to read to your child. Ideal for reading classics which may be beyond her own reading ability but age appropriate. Great list of classic literature for children here: www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/building-a-children-s-library

HTH

NorhamGardens Tue 13-Nov-12 14:50:09

Utterly brilliant, my thanks. Love the classic literature list in particular.

BooksandaCuppa Tue 13-Nov-12 20:57:39

Talk lots. Question lots. Read lots. Ds is yr 7 and I read to him or he to me almost every day.
Think about improving their vocabulary (and understanding of vocab). Classic literature is good for that, as well as non-fiction. Do some 'comprehension' practise by talking about other things (not just books) such as tv programmes/films/adverts/comics getting them to articulate why, who, what, when etc etc.
Last but not least, try not to get hung up on levels, or let them do so. In some schools they talk to the children ridiculously early about levels...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now