Talk

Advanced search

How old should DD (September baby) be when she starts Reception?

(27 Posts)
cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 12:22:06

Hello!

DD was born end September 2010. We have been told by our school of choice that she will be eligible for the 2015 intake for Reception, i.e. when she is 5. Does this sound right? Could we be told differently, i.e. that she would be eligible for 2014 intake, by other schools?

Possibly a daft question - but in my defence DD is my first (so haven't got a clue what I'm doing grin) and her birthdate can make things a bit of a moveable feast in terms of which year children are placed. I was born at the beginning of September and was the oldest in my year. But there were girls in my class born at the end of September the year after me, who were the youngest in the year.

Would welcome any thoughts!

PastSellByDate Tue 13-Nov-12 12:28:45

Hi cardamomginger:

Yes 2015 sounds right if your DD was born in 2010.

DD1 born autumn 2002 started in 2007/ 2008 school year, turning 5 fairly soon after starting.

DD2 born 2005 started in 2010 (2010/2011 school year) - and turned 5 in spring.

I think it's easier to think about it as the school year they turn 5.

If it is any help they usually make the divide at September 1st (in England at least). So children born on August 31st can start age 4 (turning 5 just before Year 1) - but there's been a lot of study to suggest that late summer children do not do as well as their peers. As you probably alredy have observed there's a lot of difference in coordination/ social skills/ patience between a 4 year old and a 4 1/2 year old, let alone between a 4 year old and 5 year old.

Obviously every child is different and you may well feel your DD is ready and raring to go - but there are serious advantages to being the oldest in a class if that helps.

RillaBlythe Tue 13-Nov-12 12:30:19

Your dd will start at the Sept she turns 5 in.

cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 12:30:47

Thanks!

My confusion is not helped by the fact that "Reception" did not exist when I was a child [shows age]. Doubtless I shall get confused all over again when she goes to senior school - back in the day the years started all over again from year 1 [makes appointment for botox and monkey glands[.

CaseyShraeger Tue 13-Nov-12 12:30:55

If you're in England then she'd start at the beginning of Sept 2015 - so at 4 years 11 months plus a couple of weeks.

Sometimes children were jumped ahead a year, particularly if they were September/October birthdays and so old for their cohort, but I get the impressionthat it doesn't happen as much now and I don't think they ever started earlier, just got moved up once they'd started.

Chubfuddler Tue 13-Nov-12 12:31:49

If she went in 2014 shed be three on September 1st so 2015 is correct. She'll be one of the eldest in the year.

cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 12:37:05

Thanks all!

Stay tuned for my posts in September 2014 asking for tips on how to keep her occupied and stimulated!!

RillaBlythe Tue 13-Nov-12 12:39:44

I know - my dd is mid Sept born & in the long term I'm pleased she will be one of the eldest in her year but ohhhh boy that's going to be a long year for me!

mummytime Tue 13-Nov-12 12:43:49

She will be entitled to 15 hours a week at pre-school/nursery free of charge. the same curriculum applies to both pre-school and reception, so most pre-school facilities can stretch the older kids just as much as going to school. Also don't assume she will be intellectually ahead of even children nearly a year younger than her at pre-school. The real tragedy is that we still educate kids like sausages through a machine, and people do develop at different rates not based on chronological age. Also they don't develop at a constant speed, but often in fits and starts (there is even academic research which shows and explains this).
With practise you will be fine with the school year system; if necessary for secondary you just go by the old figure and add 6, so 1st year becomes year 7.

cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 13:13:28

That's good to know about the 15 hours mummytime I shall investigate. Thank you!

Northumberlandlass Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:59

Cardamomginger - My DS is also early Sept birthday and turned 5 within a week of starting Reception.

DS went to the Nursery attached to the school - as they had places available and due to his date of birthday he was able to be in Nursery for a year and a half.

So....
January 2007 (Age 3 1/2 ish) I was able to apply and was offered afternoon Nursery (only as they had spaces available)
Sept 2007 (turned 4 that month) he was supposed to start Nursery in school.
Sept 2008 (turned 5 that month) moved into Reception.

Does that help at all?
It gets very confusing.....

MrsMmoo Tue 13-Nov-12 14:18:23

My DS2 was born the same month and year as yours and he starts reception September 2015. Starts preschool Sep 2013.

NickNacks Tue 13-Nov-12 14:21:30

Same month and year here too! Except dd is the 2nd and so will almost definitely have turned 5 before she starts in September 2015. Argh! but secretly pleased

Pooka Tue 13-Nov-12 14:27:19

Ds2 is the 1st of September. He starts, aged 5, in September 2014.

Ds1 started on his 5th birthday. Was quite cool - he took in chocolate and th sang happy birthday. Was only mornings for tat week.

AntoinetteCosway Tue 13-Nov-12 14:33:39

Ah...I thought they started the September AFTER they turn 5, which would mean for September babies they don't start till they're almost 6...I'm sure this is what someone else told me on another thread! <bear of very little brain> This way makes more sense though.

AntoinetteCosway Tue 13-Nov-12 14:39:42

Have checked the other thread and I am talking utter rubbish grin

NickNacks Tue 13-Nov-12 14:41:27

The 'test' date for each school year is the 31st August. All children who are age 4 on the 31st August will start in the following academic year.

Pyrrah Tue 13-Nov-12 14:41:51

No, it's the academic year IN WHICH they turn 5, so all children born between 1st September 2008 and 31st August 2009 will be eligible to start Reception in September 2013.

OP, I don't know where you live, but in some areas there are free full-time nursery places attached to Primary schools. DD goes from 9am to 3.15pm for 5 days a week and it's been a good step between the very free-play private nursery she was at last year and the much more structured Recption she will be in next year.

The existence of these nurseries is not widely advertised, and you need to get the application forms direct from the school. DD's had a closing date of 15th December 2011 and we found out she had a place for this September at Easter this year. Some areas have none, some areas have part-time places and some areas have full-time places so have a look around.

ISeeThreadPeople Tue 13-Nov-12 14:47:03

I'm really pleased ds will be at home for an extra year. He was born on Sept 3rd. DD was summer born and seemed v young going to school at 4 and a little bit but actually she was more than ready. She entered school already reading and writing, doing basic maths and now in y1, she is way ahead of even the september born children. This isn't meant to sound smug at all, just pointing out that some children are ready for school early. Your ds might not be ready as early as you think and not going until 4.11 might suit him perfectly. And if not then there's preschool and nurseries and gin.

RobinSparkles Tue 13-Nov-12 14:52:39

My niece was born Sept 2010. She will be eligible for a free nursery/preschool place from January 2014 as they are entitled to the free 15 hours for the term after they turn three.

My DD2 was born in Feb 2011 and she will be in the same school year as DN.

RobinSparkles Tue 13-Nov-12 14:53:40

Meant to say that both DN and DD will be starting reception in September 2015.

cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 15:23:47

We're in North London. She's in a private nursery 1 full day and 2 mornings a week at the moment. Excellent facilities and staff and she's really happy and is blooming. There's a good selection of nurseries and pre-school where we live. But, as ever, it always comes down to cash. One of the reasons we went with the nursery she's at is because they are one of the few who don't insist on 5 full days a week attendance.
I will look more into this free place thing. She will definitely need something. Not wanting to be all PFB, but she has been early for everything so far. I know they often even out by the time they are 3 or 4, but if she does keep up her current rate of development, we could well have a bored child/broke parents/--alcoholic mother-- [grins]. All part fun and the challenge, isn't it!!
Really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

cardamomginger Tue 13-Nov-12 15:24:55

Meant to cross out alcoholic mother blush. Oh well, where's the MN stash of gin??

NickNacks Tue 13-Nov-12 15:41:54

pyrrah that's exactly the same as what I said! hmm

Northumberlandlass Tue 13-Nov-12 15:59:11

When I say Nursery (I think you should read Pre-School), it is attached to the school. North / South thing with the wording !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now