Talk

Advanced search

Y1 Maths Help

(5 Posts)
FerryGirl Tue 13-Nov-12 12:13:30

My DD is finding maths in Y1 difficult, and I am finding it difficult to get a sense from her of what she is expected to be able to do! I have spoken to her teacher, and we are trying to do 'counting in 2s' , money etc but she really struggles with teh concepts behind it. For example, we only made a ny progress on the '2's when she started to use the 2 4 6 8 as 'clues' to find the answer (we watch a lot of Scooby).

Do any of you have good tips for getting reluctant mathematicians to grasp some of the Y1 maths concepts? I just want to help her, but feel a bit in the dark?
Thanks

iseenodust Tue 13-Nov-12 12:22:25

Get the game Shut the box for Xmas, it's not expensive.
Does she get a little pocket money and then allowed to go to the shop for some sweets and sort out how much and check the change?
Sharing out sweets fairly (see a theme?).
Easy top trumps are fab and great for waiting in a restaurant/travelling - there is probably a Scooby set, otherwise Moshi monsters, hello kitty, cute puppies etc

FerryGirl Tue 13-Nov-12 12:52:00

Thanks so much- i will look up Shut the Box! Top Trumps is a geat idea - we use the more complex version but play in Teams of 2 (adult / child) so I will get some easier ones. I am no natural mathematician (!) so just don't want her to feel that she isn't good at it from the age of 5.

Thanks

rrbrigi Tue 13-Nov-12 13:19:43

Do you know exactly where she lost the track? I mean do you know exactly what she knows and what she does not. Year 1 is not so far from beginning and if you are not sure why she struggle, probably better to start from the beginning and quickly you will find out where she is in her math journey, than you can practice from that point. It does not take time, because what she knows you can go through within minutes, but it is a good way to find out what she really knows and what is she really struggle with.

PastSellByDate Tue 13-Nov-12 13:27:29

Hi Ferrygirl:

Cumbria grid for learning has a very simple explanation of targets by year here: numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=185.

Make sure counting skills to 20 are solid. She can count up and count back 1 - 20 and 20 - 1.

There are some nice ordering games to play which really strengthen this skill: www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/5-7-years/ordering - caterpillar ordering and ordering (the t-shirt game) are really useful.

Counting by 2s & learning about even and odd numbers:

1) Walk down one side of the street to school, the park, bus stop, etc...
Have DC read out the house numbers: 100, 102, 104, etc... Don't explain to her what is going on - let her explain to you how the numbering is working. Questions like: Do you notice anything interesting about how you're counting up? Now the numbers may be bigger than she's used to working with - but discuss the pattern of the last digit (the units) only and see what she comes up with.

Walk down the other side of the road the next time
99, 101, 103, 105, etc...

Get confident with that and then work on doing it backwards.

(In essence you've taught adding 2 and subtracting 2).

2) There are some great games - skip count is good fun:
www.sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/earlymath/BalloonPopSkip.htm - you can start off with counting by 2s, but you can do all sorts of other numbers 5, 10, 3, 4, etc... Very good for reinforcing number patterns.

3) Work with food. Raisins, berries, sweets, etc... have her set out sweets on a dish in groups of two and then count them up.

Once she's happy with counting to twenty by 2 return to counting by 1s to 100. You can then introduce counting by 5s and 10s. A number square may help: www.primaryresources.co.uk/online/numbersquare.swf - this is intreractive and you can shade the numbers by clicking them so that the patterns become obvious. Take some time to discuss those patterns - even numbers always end 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8. Counting by 5s - numbers only end in 5 or 0.

In effect these counting games are teaching the times tables - but well before they realise it. It will make it all much easier later.

One thing that is really worthwhile working on, once counting on by intervals is going well, is to then return to number bonds:

How many ways to make 2 - 10.

so for 2: 0 + 2, 1 + 1 and 2 + 0

for 6 for example: 0 + 6, 1 + 5, 2 + 4, 3 + 3, 4 + 2, 5 + 1 and 6 + 0

for 10: 0 + 10, 1 + 9, 2 + 8, 3 + 7, 4 + 6, 5 + 5, 6+4, 7 + 3, 8 + 2, 9 + 1 and 10 + 0.

Knowing these 'number bonds' will really help when dealing with subtraction and with more ambitious addition/ subtraction (2 digit number + or - 2 digit number or even larger numbers).

From this point Woodlands Junior school's Maths Zone has fantastic support materials in addition and subtraction: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/

Coxhoe primary also has good links to internet games to support elements of maths curriculum: www.schooljotter.com/showpage.php?id=35518

Their page of counting sequences may be particularly useful www.schooljotter.com/showpage.php?id=55506

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now