Advanced search

Sats year 5

(14 Posts)
maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 20:51:54

My yr 5 stepson has just had the following results:
Reading 3c
Writing 2a
Maths 3c
This is no real change since his last report. I have no power over his parenting, but how worried should I be?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 20:53:54

what would you do about it
and if you can do nothing why worry

worry about what you CAN change, not what you cannot

crazygracieuk Mon 12-Nov-12 20:58:35

4b is expected level at end of y6
3a/4c is expected level at end of y5
3b is expected level at end of y4
2a/3c is expected level at end of y3
2b is expected level at end of y2

Does he have his eyes checked annually? Is his hearing ok? (2 things his Dad could have checked).

Was his last report in July? Expected progress is 3 sub-levels over 2 years (so 1 or 2 sub-levels a year). What were previous reports like?

maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:00:11

Good point! But I do live with his father who has a modicum of influence. Wondering if a tutor would be a good idea? My stepson has no interest at school and puts in the least amount of effort. He's not stupid and is a great kid. I just want him to be inspired somehow.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:03:13

WTF is it with Mumsnet and tutors.
Maybe he's just a late developer
or maybe the school just does not fiddle their grades
its up to his Mum as the resident parent anyway.

what DOES interest him? Sport / Art / Music / theatre / machines
worry about that not KS fine scale points that are frankly meaningless in the big scheme of things

maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:06:18

Thanks CrazyGracie
So he's 2 years behind where he should be? His reports all say how lovely he is and he gets smiley faces on his homework, but he never completes the task and the work presented is sloppy. It's his interest in work that worries me. I think he's lacking in confidence too. He has an IEP, but the report says he will move to School Action. Not sure what this means?

maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:13:24

I dont think he's a late developer - I think he's simply not interested. The sat results have just served to confirm my fears that he's not doing well at school and for such a bright boy I want to find a way to get him inspired.
We encourage his interests outside school very much and his Dad devotes much of his spare time to his outdoor pursuits

RaisinBoys Mon 12-Nov-12 21:23:23

School Action is additional, usually short-term, pupil support provided by the school (e.g. a literacy or numeracy catch-up programme).

School Action + refers to support involving external providers (e.g. speech & language therapy)

School has clearly recognised that he is a bit behind expected levels and are taking action.

crazygracieuk Mon 12-Nov-12 21:23:42

If I was your husband I'd be talking to his teacher (and your stepson) regularly.
Can your stepson shed any light on what sort of things he struggles with?

Rather than a tutor, maybe you and your h can incorporate educational things by stealth into the time that you spent together. For example if he is learning about Romans then you visit an appropriate attraction or sky plus a Dr Who episode with Romans and talk while the programme is on. Can your husband maybe read to him? Even if it's a footie mag or something not obviously educational, it will hopefully introduce new vocabulary and teach him other literacy skills.

If he is lazy and coasting because he's not having his ass kicked, then I'd be asking the teacher to do so. I wouldn't want the school to be simply biding their time just because he's leaving soon.

I disagree with TalkinPeace2 about not stressing about grades etc. Good grades will mean more choice in future careers and life so I'd want my (step)child to be at least average and have GCSEs.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:24:46

but the child does not live with the OP
so its not actually up to her

titchy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:33:24

He's only just in year 5 so his expected level is 3b, so only a little bit ahead of where he is - he's certainly not two years behind! I wouldn't suggest a tutor, how about a kick up the arse, listening to him read whenever he is with his father, talk about what he's reading, make sure he understands it fully and help him with his maths. I assume his mother and father share your concern?

maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:37:53

CarzyGracie and RaisinBoys - thank you so much for your great advice and insight.
TalkinPeace - I'm just trying to do my best

TalkinPeace2 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:39:41

I know you are
but if my Step mum had butted in on how my mum handled my schooling it would have caused HUGE amounts of friction .....
you have to realise that she may regard your views as interference

maamy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:51:27

I know I cannot have any influence with what happens at his home, but I can make a difference when he's with his Dad. His Dad has little patience with homework, but I love helping them do it. It's good to hear different strategies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now