Talk

Advanced search

VAT on school uniform

(5 Posts)
netherlee Fri 09-Nov-12 22:31:06

I had a rather interesting discussion with my sister who has an 11 year old daughter in p7 (in scotland the last year of primary can be 11-12 depending on birthday) and above average height. 36inch chest and w28 to be exact, which rather unfairly takes her over the VAT threshold. Fair enough for a white blouse and navy trousers, but anything with the school logo is exempt as only the school's pupils wear them. What we both feel is that gingham dresses, pinafores, and certain types of skirt/cardigans should also be exempt as realistically nobody over 14 wears them, but these all are VATable. Are we asking too much here?

Hope that makes sense.

shattereddreams Sat 10-Nov-12 07:25:18

I agree but good luck trying to persuade anyone in government to give a damn.

scaevola Sat 10-Nov-12 07:39:25

You don't need to the Government to give a damn. You can exceed the normal size rules for school uniforms already for primary schools ( see para 6 of this HMRC document). And as you will see from the table in para 4.2 the maximum 'permitted' size for a child garment is chest 41.5inches anyhow.

Perhaps you need to ask your retailer what they are up to?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 10-Nov-12 08:42:55

Try having an eight year old with size 4 only school shoes don't have VAT on them.

netherlee Sat 10-Nov-12 15:58:59

I think one or two have misinterpreted my post. I did say any uniform specific to the school (badged items, ties) are free from VAT. Items that are not school specific but in practice adults and teenagers would not buy for themselves have VAT. I'm surprised even an 11yo is/was wearing a gingham dress, but have you seen a 14yo wear them to school let alone an adult out and about? Same applies to pinafores, and some styles of skirt are obviously for a primary school child. This is the grey area. An adult could buy a white shirt or school trousers and use them for their own purposes, not the items I mentioned before.

I have read that article and it only makes exception for items 'specific to the school'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now