Talk

Advanced search

Fine and Gross Motor Skills

(11 Posts)
Springisoutthere Thu 08-Nov-12 12:57:20

I have just been told my dd has problems with her fine and gross motor skills,she has just gone up to middle school was at a different primary for 3 years and it was never mentioned, I am concerned,I am meeting with her teacher later today. Is there anything I should ask in particular? I have googled but it is confusing!

For info, my daughter has no special needs and is in all of the highest groups, Im not sure if this makes any difference.

Thanks.

BetsyBoop Thu 08-Nov-12 14:31:33

I would be asking for details of what specific concerns they have - is it in PE, handwriting, general activities (eg fastening buttons)? and how "big" an issue they think it is.

If they have identified minor issues they may have an in house scheme already in place to support such children (eg my school does a "Tummy Club" scheme twice a week where the children do specific exercises.)

If they have real concerns I would expect they will be referring your DD for an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

If the OT agrees there are issues they will develop a programme of activities to work on at home and in school to help with development.

Try not to worry, it's better that any potential issues are picked up and addressed as necessary at this stage rather than left until later where they can cause bigger problems.

tiggytape Thu 08-Nov-12 14:44:14

As Betsy says try not to worry.
The reason it may only have just come to light might be this school are more on the ball or it might be that it is only just starting to cause her problems. Fine motor skills for example can affect extended writing tasks. There aren't many of these in Year 1 or 2 but they become more common as children get older so any difficulty may be more obvious.

It is good that they have flagged it up. The next step would be to ask the teacher which tasks your DD struggles with at school and then get a referal to an OT either via the school or the GP. If the school does it, the SenCo will take care of it. If you go via the GP, you will be the one asking for the referal.

Gross and fine motor skills delays or problems need have no impact on academic ability at all so your DD being in the top sets is likely to be unrelated but the school may worry that if her writing particularly slows her down, she might not always be able to express her abilities as well as she'd like to.

survivingautumn Thu 08-Nov-12 20:49:45

My dd has problems with both fine and gross motor skills but is also in the top groups academically. She has Cerebral Palsy but her cognitive function is entirely unaffected.

I'm sure your dd has nothing like those kind of issues but there are programmes like 'Fizzy' that schools can do with her to work on any sort of delay or difficulty she might be experiencing.

I agree that you need more information from the teacher about their concerns, and whether further assessment is needed. Sometimes issues can only show up when lessons like PE become harder and involve more complex balance ability or children are expected to write more and faster etc.

efeslight Thu 08-Nov-12 21:36:49

hello survivingautumn, can i ask you if you have any more details on the fizzy programme? my little boy was very premature and small and his fine motor skills seem to be fine, but his coordination/balance etc are not great, he's just turned 3 so am keen to find something else to help him after 18 months of quite intensive physio.

mrz Thu 08-Nov-12 21:40:14

www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/information-for-patients/patient-information-leaflets/fizzy-leaflets/

survivingautumn Thu 08-Nov-12 21:57:20

efeslight - Fizzy has been really good but what has really helped dd in addition to this is horse riding. Brilliant for balance and co-ordination! Your ds might be a little too young just yet but you can often start before the age of 5 yrs smile

mrz Thu 08-Nov-12 22:01:54

www.northumberlandcaretrust.nhs.uk/services/services-files/community-health-service-files/childrens-occupational-therapy/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20First%20school.pdf

mrz Thu 08-Nov-12 22:03:48

www.northumberlandcaretrust.nhs.uk/services/services-files/community-health-service-files/childrens-occupational-therapy/Complete%20Booklet.doc

Ingles2 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:06:33

My Ds2 has just started secondary school but all through his primary education, he had Fizzy which he loved. He has Dcd( developmental co-ordination delay) / dyspraxia and was behind in both gross and fine motor skills. His main issues were handwriting, which was very poor as he had poor pencil grip and he got tired quickly, but also he couldn't catch or ride a bike or swim. Now you would hardly know he struggled so much and I think it's due to regular Fizzy ( every day in his case) alongside his OT and also he started fencing 3 years ago which is brilliant for co-ordination.
Try not to worry about your dd, I imagine her teacher has just noticed something small like slow writing and intervention like fizzy will help, us its fun... All ds' friends were jealous grin

efeslight Thu 08-Nov-12 22:15:20

thanks mrz and survivingautumn, will have a good look at all those links,
hope all goes well for your daughter springisoutthere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now