Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would this bother you?

(9 Posts)
Cat98 Wed 07-Nov-12 11:42:34

Ds is in reception. I pack him a healthy lunch most days (sandwich/roll with varied fillings, fruit or crudites, and a yoghurt or babybel.)

He often comes home only having eaten a fraction of it, though he usually polishes off the rest on the way home. School provide them with a snack mid morning so I wasn't too worried.
However I found out from his new friend's mum that they are "sharing" lunches which I gather is more DS eating half the other boy's snacks - usually jaffa cakes/crisps apparently! I think the other boy had some of DS's grapes, but presumably because I pack DS a healthy lunch it's not as appealing!
I am a little miffed as I like to know what he's had and I'm not particularly happy about DS having junky stuff every day, but also I feel bad that this other boy is sharing with DS but he doesn't get anything in return! (I think because he doesn't like it, not because DS doesn't offer..)
Though I'm not about to pack crisps or biscuits just so DS has something the boy likes!
Wwyd? DS was a bit coy when I asked him about it and just said the other boy gives him stuff. I said it was ok to share the odd grape/crisp (as long as he offered some back) but that I'd like him to eat his own lunch first. Is this very normal and I'm worrying too much?!

redskyatnight Wed 07-Nov-12 12:25:29

Both my DC's schools have strict rules that the children are not allowed to share food from packed lunches. (because of allergies) So I suspect that this sharing is not "allowed" anyway. I'd suggest a quick word with the teacher.

Cellardweller Wed 07-Nov-12 12:32:26

Can you check with the school? though even the toughest policy isn't going to stop 'sharing'

My DD takes (i)rice and peas (ii) some chicken or ham (iii) an apple (iv) a banana and some raisins.

My DS takes (i) Monster munch (ii) Organix crisps.

The school haven't even complained about either. I have no idea if sharing is allowd, but neither of my kids are good at that anyway, so I've never worried.

Cat98 Wed 07-Nov-12 12:38:22

Thanks. I could ask the teacher, but I was wondering if a) it was a big deal or if I was over thinking, and b) if she would even know anything as I thought they have dinner ladies overseeing lunches.

redskyatnight Wed 07-Nov-12 12:44:06

It's perfectly reasonable to want to know what your Reception age child is eating. Likely the teacher won't know, but she can pass on a message to the lunch time assistants.

Cat98 Wed 07-Nov-12 12:45:46

Ok - thanks. Parents eve tonight so if we get a chance I'll mention it then smile

neolara Wed 07-Nov-12 12:45:56

I would also ask the school to make sure that kids don't share. I imagine in most schools it is standard policy because of the risk of allergies.

jungletoes Wed 07-Nov-12 12:49:35

My dd used to do this, swap her fruit for friend's junk, and it drove me crackers. Told her it could be dangerous for others to eat her lunch as they may have allergies, the message did eventually sink in! She still moans now "there's too much fruit in my lunch" but I want her to eat a balanced diet, so tough!!

Cat98 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:08:41

Yes it's true about the allergies. I'm guessing they don't have any allergic children in the class as they seem quite relaxed about all things to do with food tbh - no lunchbox rules, school snacks are not always uber healthy etc.
I will mention it. I pack him a cake on fridays as a little treat but most of the kids seem to bring some chocolate/biscuits every day, which is fine but I'd rather ds didn't have the option!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now