Talk

Advanced search

Oh wise mnetters.... blasted reading levels - AGAIN!

(45 Posts)
OohMrDarcy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:15:36

DD, year 1 (5.9) was is currently on orange band books.

Reading going really well. Just before half term she brought home a sharing book 'rumplestiltskin' which was banded as purple. All fine as she originally wanted me to read it to her, then after one chapter she asked to read it. She then read a chapeter a night - no real problems, just the odd word here and there she needed help with. She finished it and was really proud at finishing her first chapter book.
So I put a note in her reading record saying how she'd read a purple band book with no real concerns and asked politely if the teacher could reasses her.

So this week we are back after half term.......... DD tells me she is now in 'horses' reading group confused yesterday, and today comes home with a new group read book - green band shock She hasn't been on this level since the end of year R

How the hell do I approach this politely with the teacher who is lovely and I wouldn't want to offend ??

take3 Tue 06-Nov-12 20:26:02

I would just go in and praise the teacher.... saying all the things your DD has enjoyed this term and how happy she is etc etc... then just ask 'I just wanted to check her reading level as she seems to have moved down a band...' I would mention the purple book too.
It is very difficult for teachers to keep each child on the correct level as there are 30 in the class and reading is just one little part of what a teacher does in a day at school. Just ask with a smile and if she is lovely, you'll be fine.

Elibean Tue 06-Nov-12 20:28:03

Sounds like a mistake smile

I would second take3's advice!

OohMrDarcy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:29:08

I am just completely baffled, she's one of the top readers in the class confused and I know she's no genius, just clicked with reading straight away.

I did mention to the teacher at the time that I'd put a note in her reading record as she'd read me a purple band book - wondering if she somehow got confused and thought I thought it was too hard? but that makes no sense as its 2 levels above what she was on ... more confused

Think I will go with the 'I just wanted to check about DDs reading band as she seems to have moved down a band and says she is in a different reading group now?' <insert sweet smile>

does that sound reasonable?

Elibean Tue 06-Nov-12 20:29:25

Second thought - are you sure the 'green' band isn't 'turquoise'? Because at dds' school, turquoise comes after orange - and before purple.

And some people make mistakes and shove green band books back in the turquoise pile by mistake, and vice versa, so....

OohMrDarcy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:30:11

The only other thing I can think of, is there are 2 DC with DDs name in the class, the other is a good reader too but not the same reading book. Her reading record today is signed by a different teacher (who regularly covers the class) could it be she has ended up in the wrong group??

Elibean Tue 06-Nov-12 20:31:06

x-post

I would be much more direct, personally - I very much doubt a good teacher would take offense! I just let dd2's Y1 teacher know when a level seems too easy, or hard, or anything else - and ask if its possible to do xyz or not. Then we can talk about it.

OohMrDarcy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:31:17

Hi Elibean

its definitely green - its a rigby star and actually has 'green band' written on the back, its also a definite one she has been given - they get issued a group reading book from a set, then have free choice of all other books, hope that makes sense

take3 Tue 06-Nov-12 20:32:25

You could speculate for hours.... just go and ask, with that sweet smile. Sounds like a mix up but if it is just that then they won't be annoyed with you for asking. And if it isn't a mix up then it needs sorting!

OohMrDarcy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:49:43

this is true... will try and have a word after school tomorrow

Rowgtfc72 Tue 06-Nov-12 20:58:10

Same boat with dd. Would be interested to see what teacher says when you ask. Grovelling now for her to come off blue bands and all teacher says is, well I know better, its not just reading but comprehension too. Have put note in reading record but not holding out much hope. Good luck with the chat.

Tgger Tue 06-Nov-12 21:56:29

Good luck!

yellowsubmarine53 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:01:24

In addition to speaking with the teacher, I think it's worth having a regular supply of library books at home at the level your child is.

Then if they do come home with the incorrect book level, it's easy enough to whizz through it then read something more challenging. My dd also refused to read her 'reading books' more than once, so it was easier to just get some out of the library than ask the school to change it every day.

Goonatic Tue 06-Nov-12 23:08:13

That must be a mistake, purple is 2c level, green is 1b, a big difference, and orange is also 1b but is ranked higher than green... Turquoise is 1a, so between green and purple.... Sorry if that's gobbledegook, purple is highest!!
Sorry just reread nd I think you already know that blush just go in and ask what has happened, I will watch out for someone asking me this tomorrow just n case!!! wink

Woozley Tue 06-Nov-12 23:29:02

When DD1 was in Year R & 1, I just used to write "DD found this book very easy" in the reading record & soon after she would be moved up. I also wrote in any other books she wanted to read to me at home.

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 09:46:04

Thanks all

Goonatic - yes I think I get you, no idea RE the levels, however DD was green band end of summer term of year R and the last few weeks was ready to go to orange, moved to orange straight away in yr1 so has been on it the whole half term. She read the purple book far better than I expected which shocked me hence writing / mentioning to the teacher as felt she should probably be on turquoise at least (in case the book was an 'easy' purple) and now she's come home back on Green... my brain hurts and it actually woke me up in the night thinking about it!

Not particularly looking forward to pickup time today, but I clearly need to discuss it!

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 09:46:49

oh and yellow we have lots of books at home, and DD is getting confident enough to try reading lots of them herself now so not worried there smile

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 16:07:32

Hmmm mixed results really.

Teacher was shocked when I said she seemed to have gone down a band and said she must have given them the wrong book.
However she is in a new group and the dc that DD mentioned are in it were definitely all a lower group before so I have a feeling she is going to be orange still and some of the other reading group have moved up a level

Am thoroughly confused, I know teacher said DDs comprehension was better than her reading so it can't be that she is behind on that.

Will see what level comes home again next week and bring it up again if needs be I guess?! Don't know how to handle that one though.... Argh!

Goonatic Wed 07-Nov-12 17:24:37

How confusing?! When is parents evening? Make a list of questions and raise it then, no-one asked me this morning so I am not our child's teacher! grin
Sounds like she should be on turquoise as it is the next one up from orange (represents a 1a which is very good for beginning of year one by the way).
Hope you get a clear answer soon, if not just keep asking! Did the teacher tell you what colour she is supposed to be on then? I would ask that tomorrow if I was you.
If a parent asks me about colours or suggests that their child is reading a certain colour really well I always assess them to check, two heads better than one!

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 17:31:49

Had parents evening just before half term (the week before she read the purple book typically!)

I agree, I was expecting turquoise really as well aware that it could have been an 'easy' purple
Will see if it gets changed tomorrow though not likely as the group reads are done once a week I think I will nose at the groups on the wall in the morning so I have more of an idea and then see what book comes home next.

Don't know what to say if I am right and its orange again though? Do I just ask if she was assessed like I suggested? Though given there is a new group she must have been surely?

I know that no matter the level she is doing very well in her reading, I just find it frustrating that she had the confidence to try a chapter book (and did fab) and so far that doesn't seem to have been acknowledged iyswim

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 17:32:42

Excuse punctuation.... Am on phone!

Rowgtfc72 Wed 07-Nov-12 19:02:19

Can i just ask the teachers on here, do you mind parents asking about reading levels. I got the impression DDs teacher thought I was telling her how to do her job, i thought I was helping ! Its the confidence thing that bothers me too. I wouldnt want Dd to lose interest because the books are too easy. Dh is talking about seeing dds headteacher. Would that be worth a try for you If you get no joy ?

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 19:04:09

Am sure it won't come to that, DDs teacher is excellent and lovely - its just hard to know how to talk about things without sounding like I am telling her I know better!

There may be a reason that DD isn't going up even though she can read better, but if there is I need to understand it as I can't think of one!

Rowgtfc72 Wed 07-Nov-12 19:06:31

I know what you mean . I dont want to sound like that either but have to hold my tongue so I dont do the "but I hear her read every night, you hear her fifteen minutes once a week ! "

OohMrDarcy Wed 07-Nov-12 19:32:03

maybe go down the route of, what do you think could be holding her back at school if she isn't performing to her best here?

(I used that one once in year R!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now