Talk

Advanced search

What do you do wih your kids after school??

(42 Posts)
Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 17:38:00

Dd is reception and is 4, not 5 til summer.
I was advised not to sign up for activities as she would be tired.

She is not remotely tired. Zebedee is more like it.

Any recommendations now it's dark early? Any classes or knackering activities I need to know about??

She can't go to school after school clubs til year one.

naturalbaby Tue 06-Nov-12 17:39:59

We walk home, a loooong walk with lots of diversions!
yesterday they all sat at the table doing lego/craft
Ds was 4 in the summer and was doing Saturday activities but I've moved football to Friday after school.
Swimming?

Choufleur Tue 06-Nov-12 17:43:30

What does she like doing? Swimming? Dance? Karate? Horse riding? Football? Gymnastics? Trampolining?

Depends what is near you

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 17:44:14

Long walk home, why didn't I think of that?? Thanks! Might try to move swimming to Monday's as it Saturday currently.
Anyone else?
Need all the inspiration I can get she's bouncing off the walls!!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 06-Nov-12 17:45:54

DS1 is 4, he'll be 5 in July. He is doing swimming once a week, karate once a week, we read every night and we've just signed him up for French at lunchtimes in school once a week to try and wear him out grin

Everyone told me he would be falling asleep in his dinner until at least Christmas, and it just hasn't happened.

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 17:45:58

I guess I'm not sure what's good for her age, lots of classes seem to be for older ones as in 5plus.
We do swimming lessons currently and have a pass for the zoo which we went to loads but too dark now

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 17:47:39

Me too!! Everyone said don't book a
Single thing keep it free and I don't think it's because she's specially gifted or anything it's not a boast she just seems to have loads of energy and needs hours of exercise!

Leeds2 Tue 06-Nov-12 17:47:50

Ballet? Tennis?

Choufleur Tue 06-Nov-12 17:50:51

Lots of dance classes start them earlier than 5

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 17:55:55

Do people book stuff for say 3 times a week? Would that be too much for a 4 year old? I don't want to go
Too far the other way, or do some people book stuff every afternoon of the week?

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 18:04:45

I wish I had the time and energy to find things to do after school,

We get home and they sit up to the table, read their books and ds (5) copies his key words and practises sentences while dd writes pages and pages for her teacher. Also do any pick n mix homework projects they get.

Then they play or watch tv while I get dinner, we eat about 6 then bath then bed. In the summer we would go to the park or half hour and now and again we go for a cake in the cafe. Gymnastics on thursdays but my nan takes them and it's all very rushed on that night and she doesn't stick them in the bath either.

I find they are quite happy just to play with their toys and relax tbh could you not get the craft stuff out, do home work/ reading ect?

What time does your dc go to bed?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 06-Nov-12 18:13:58

What about membership for local soft play? You can go for an hour or two after school. I'm going to do this over the winter when you can't just play outside so easily.

Clary Tue 06-Nov-12 18:20:01

swimming lessons

dance class

Rainbows (actually she has to be 5 I think)

football

gymnastics - local council or local club

Mine did/do all of these (not all at once!)

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 18:27:11

Swimming after school is great, take their pjs with you for when they get out, then once your home it's dinner then bed and the dreaded bath time doesn't need to happen.

simpson Tue 06-Nov-12 18:34:09

DD in reception does an after school club with her teacher for 30 mins on a Wednesday (craft club) and on a Friday she goes to youth club (I stay with her as not allowed to leave them till they are 5) and that is enough for her really....

She entertains herself pretty well and home now and is always drawing/colouring/writing etc....

By the time I have cooked tea and done any homework/reading that needs to be done for both DC (DS is in yr3) there is not a lot of time left before bed!!

AngryFeet Tue 06-Nov-12 18:37:42

We do nothing on Mondays, swimming with grandma on Tuesdays, swimming lessons on Wednesdays, reading tutor for DS on Thursdays and Brownies for DD on Fridays. DS will start beavers on Thursdays in Feb.

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 18:52:43

Bedtime is 7pm tea is at 5pm, so there a clear 90mins between school and her being completely famished so the soft play thing could be an idea, didn't know you could pre pay or become a member, thanks for that.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 06-Nov-12 19:06:13

Definitely something physical - it sounds like she needs to burn off energy.

But be careful. If her school is anything like ours, she will be on her knees with exhaustion by Christmas. December is completely manic with extra Christmas activities and it's a very long term.

Of course, she might sail through it all, but I'd strongly advise waiting till January to fill up her schedule!!

redskyatnight Tue 06-Nov-12 19:38:27

My children weren't tired after they started Reception either. I felt cheated smile

As the PP says though, this half term is exhausting with all the getting ready for children. My children (now Y4 and Y2) are always flagging with a couple of weeks to go. It's not a great time to be starting a new activity now (but of course a good time to make plans to start something afresh in January !)

kige Tue 06-Nov-12 19:40:49

Swimming. My DD is same age, also not tired and does this.

Whatever else you can find really that she would be interested in.

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 19:51:40

Thanks posters! I've found her behaviours is getting worse and do feel cheated too! I was expecting lots of lovely afternoons watching films or bed early but none of it! Im also sure it's Physical exercise that's needed, so might go for a soft play, a swimming day with jammies and see if there's any dancing on somewhere.

Hopefully that will do the job!

Teacher seems to think she is fine in class and does sit and listen so I'm guessing she's mega restless by te end of the day.

Any ideas on physical games I can do at home with her??

Sorry I know I'm being rubbish but I'm struggling!

SavoyCabbage Tue 06-Nov-12 19:54:32

My dd1 couldn't manage anything after school until she was in year 3 but dd2 is a different kettle of fish. We do swimming, basketball and gymnastics.

Eveiebaby Tue 06-Nov-12 19:56:16

Indoor trampoline!!!!

Flumpyflumps Tue 06-Nov-12 20:30:43

Googling indoor trampoline!! Might need to reinforce floors!

Tgger Tue 06-Nov-12 20:53:03

Dancing, get cds, music player, job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now