Talk

Advanced search

How long will they keep a school place open for absent child?

(9 Posts)
Hersetta Mon 05-Nov-12 11:36:53

Asking just for interest and have no vested interest at all.

A classmate of DC1 (yr 1) has been absent from school since september. The childs father lives overseas and I believe is very ill. The child and mother went to visit him and have not returned to the UK. The child has been enrolled in a private school in the father's home country. How long will the school or local education dept keep the UK school place open given that the school is oversubscribed with a long waiting list?

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 05-Nov-12 13:20:07

In our borough it's 6 weeks unless there are extenuating circumstances.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 05-Nov-12 13:21:32

I'd have thought until the parents confirm they don't want the place.

Unless the school initiate proceedings for the place to be taken away.

HedgeHogGroup Mon 05-Nov-12 17:02:04

No longer than half a term... it depends how over-subscribed the school is and how close to Census (funding) day it is!

mrz Mon 05-Nov-12 18:20:09

In my LEA it's indefinitely - we have a pupil who has just joined us and who has only been in school 12 days since January ....

tiggytape Mon 05-Nov-12 19:11:03

I assume the school are in contact with the family and will hold his place for a while longer yet. It may be that the family sadly expect the father will not recover or will not be able to travel and therefore the boy will remain there for a short period but one which cannot be defined in advance.

He may currently be classed as being educated off site - which is true.
Given the awful circumstances, I am sure nobody would begrudge him keeping his place for the time being. Its not like he's on a touring holiday or anything avoidable but that said, he probably won't get to keep it beyond a term even given the current circumstances. That seems to be the norm that most schools will allow even in exceptional cases.

Hersetta Wed 07-Nov-12 08:49:57

Well situation has been resolved - new pupil started in DC1's class yesterday. I guess it was around six weeks, or a whole half term as was the case.

tiggytape Wed 07-Nov-12 09:18:24

Or it may be the boy's parents have recently informed the school he won't be returning at all opening the way for someone else to have his place. Poor kid though - it sounds like a lot of heartache as well as a lot of change for him. Generally you'd hope schools would go to the absolute limits of what is allowed for cases of genuine need.

mummytime Wed 07-Nov-12 09:29:54

I knew one boy who joined my DS's school for two terms; he was living with his Father whilst his mother was undergoing treatment for Breast cancer. After two terms, and he treatment had finished he moved back to his mother and old school. So I think they kept the place open (or he was readmitted after an appeal).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now