Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting v little input from school re my 7,8 and 9 year old free readers,what questions do I ask my dc when reading and should they be doing anything else?

(6 Posts)
Prarieflower Wed 31-Oct-12 18:24:56

Eg book reviews etc.

They read to themselves each night,all avid readers.I hear the odd page couple of times a week.What should I be concentrating on,are there a list of questions anywhere?Should I be modeling the odd page?

I still read the odd book to them eg Emil and the Detectives

TIAgrin

cansu Wed 31-Oct-12 19:24:31

Tbh I would let them enjoy reading, provide them with plenty of great material of a variety of genres and leave them to it. I was a free reader early on. My mum gave me a library card and took me to select a new pile of books every week and I did just fine. Why do y ou think that you need to be intervening at home? If they are doing well at school I would quite honestly leave them be for now. I am also a teacher and have given this exact same advice to my sister who has asked what extra work her ds should be doing.

Tgger Wed 31-Oct-12 19:45:38

I would occasionally read them something different, something you love and probably would be too hard/ old fashioned/ hadn't occurred to them to read. That's it. If they are reading something you enjoyed as a child I would chat about it and encourage them to. I would want to keep it all about a love of books and variety

simpson Wed 31-Oct-12 20:41:08

DS is in yr3 and a free reader and I still hear him read aloud at least 4 times a week if not more....

He has to write a book report every time he reads for school.

I do ask him questions re what hard words might mean or questions on the story etc...

He has to work on reading with more expression (according to his teacher) so we work on that...

Tiggles Wed 31-Oct-12 20:45:37

DS1 has always had a reading age of at least 4 years ahead of his chronological age and I made the mistake of stopping reading with him when he was around year 3ish. His reading was still progressing - evidence given by school, and what he was choosing to read.
Then a while ago now I decided to hear him read out loud and was disappointed by how poorly he read. So I reinstigated him reading to me regularly (I can't say every night, but certainly several times a week) and also me reading to him. It has made a massive difference, he reads out loud a lot better - which is a different skill to reading in his head, he actually asks when he doesn't know what words mean - which he would have previously skipped over. I now feel slightly guilty that we missed a couple of years in the middle.

survivingautumn Thu 01-Nov-12 20:07:20

Agree with LittleMissGreen about hearing them read often although I can imagine it must be more difficult with 3. I stopped hearing my ds read every night when he became a free reader and was disappointed when I heard him read again a few months ago. He was skipping over some words and his expression wasn't right. Since then we've worked on improving it and it's getting much better. I still read to him every night - usually fiction chapter books which he is more reluctant to read than non-fiction!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now