Talk

Advanced search

when will your dcs do their holiday homework?

(13 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Sat 27-Oct-12 14:52:20

DD yr6 has to read a novel of her choice and write a review
she also has to write a detective story -first paragraph has been written for her

she's started reading her book but not interested in doing the story

she's yr 6, it's the first day of the holidays -do I just leave her to it for now -hate leaving things to the last minute

suburbandream Sat 27-Oct-12 14:54:37

Ha ha, we've had half term this week - looks like they'll be doing it tomorrow afternoon, the day before school on Monday. DS1 is also year 6, I remind him and I'll help/advise if he wants but other than that I leave him to it - it's his responsibility.

Sparklingbrook Sat 27-Oct-12 14:54:52

DS year 6. It will be done under duress at the last possible minute. sad

chocolatespiders Sat 27-Oct-12 14:55:18

I wouldn't pressure to do it now.. Factor it in to next week in a way of if you get your homework done then we can get on with carving the pumpkin or whatever else you have planned that she likes- baking etc..

I am the parent that leaves it to the last minute but not this time smile

mumnosbest Sat 27-Oct-12 14:57:09

grin no HW here. school has rightly given them a week off.

Wolfiefan Sat 27-Oct-12 14:58:28

A paragraph or two a day?

pointyfangs Sat 27-Oct-12 18:32:18

DD2 has the usual amount of homework she would normally have for a weekend - she will be doing it next weekend so that she gets a week off.

DD1 (yr7) actually has no homework at all (and I am so pleased at this!) but will be doing some work on a longer term project due in on November 12th.

Things will be very laid back, although I will be involving them in the carving of the pumpkin and making them paint sections of our new kitchen [grin[.

picturesinthefirelight Sat 27-Oct-12 18:33:26

My two have never had holiday homework & if they did they wouldn't be doing it anyway.

Goldenjubilee10 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:47:53

Ds3 (6) had a model to make and 4 quite complicated sentences we were away so ended up leaving it to the last minute. Could you make up a bit of the story together each night and write it down next weekend? Our school's policy is supposed to be no holiday homework and none for first and last week of term but the teachers tend to forget. hmm

Euphemia Sat 27-Oct-12 19:09:02

DD is 10 and in P6 and has never had holiday homework, thank goodness.

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 27-Oct-12 19:16:57

We don't have any, and never have.

But if we did, I would make a joint decision with the DDs about when it was going to be done, and then stick to it. (Am taking same approach to piano practice, which does still have to be done!)

numbum Sat 27-Oct-12 19:48:17

We've just got spellings here. Although DS (y3) does have a project which needs to be in by the end of next term which we might make a start on. DD (y1) is very put out that she doesn't have any homework so is making up her own grin She'll soon grow out of that I'm sure!

slightlytipsy Sat 27-Oct-12 20:00:17

They started straight away. Well, I say they. It's a project. One of those really evil ones, where the parents do all the work. They're in the same year and partnered up for it, and gave me the wonderful job of creating their own little island.

So far, they've asked me to make a papier mache one, with a plastic bottom part, and put it half in/on some water in a container. I've created a total of 20 houses, 19 of which have been binned because 'they're not big enough' (how do I fit lifesize houses on a tiny papier mache island? How?) nevermind making a mini farm complete with animals, and a water slide. I'm currently in the process of making a miniature Macdonalds confused.

They're 4, and they're definitely the boss of me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now