Talk

Advanced search

Sandfield primary Guildford?

(15 Posts)
MidnightinMoscow Fri 26-Oct-12 21:55:13

Really quick question.

Does any one know much about this school? Does it have pre/post school clubs?

Oh, and why does it close early on a Friday??!!

TIA!

Dededum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:00:53

No idea about clubs, - I do know Sandfield, it has a pretty good catchment area and good reputation.

MidnightinMoscow Fri 26-Oct-12 22:02:51

We live a stones throw from there, but am really concerned about possible lack of breakfast/supper club and the early Friday finish. I commute to London and struggle with the 6pm nursery closure as it is.

Thanks for the good news about it's reputation though, good to hear.

Dededum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:06:51

Quite a lot from that part of the world get into Holy Trinity Pewley Down which does 8-6pm and has loads of clubs. After school care at the primary (Pewley down) is very good.

I know a lovely TA at Sandfield.

Does it say anything on there prospectus about after school care, I am going to have a look.

MidnightinMoscow Fri 26-Oct-12 22:08:36

I looked at the info online, they don't mention anything. HTPD would be great, but we are out of the catchment.

cece Fri 26-Oct-12 22:09:50

You could always use a childminder instead.

MidnightinMoscow Fri 26-Oct-12 22:11:41

I know, I was just hoping for something school based.

Dededum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:14:59

Are you sure you wouldn't get in, I know kids from Markenfield Rd, Church Rd who got into HT. I would have thought a need for wrap around care would be a good reason to get into HT. Obviously depends on year and how many kids but maybe speak to the school.

cece Fri 26-Oct-12 22:41:14

Just that a cm might be able do later than 6pm and less rush for you.

Ughfootballseason Sat 27-Oct-12 07:10:24

All schools are obliged to offer the care so I'm sure they'll have something. With the early Friday it might be bestbto get a cm though!

You could call htpd and ask where their furthest non-sibling admission was last year.

tiggytape Sat 27-Oct-12 18:10:15

Schools are not obliged to offer care themselves though - they are only obliged to point you in the direction of childcare which might be a list of child minders. Quite a few schools have no before or after school provision.

Something to bear in mind wherever you apply though is, just because a school has a breakfast and an after school club doesn't mean you'll get a place right away. Children already at the school have spaces which they may or may not continue to need each year. If the clubs are full with older year groups, children entering reception may have to wait on a list for a space to come up either in the mornings of afternoons or both.

If your school decision is influenced by facilities like breakfast clubs, it is worth checking whether you'd be likely to get a space.

Ughfootballseason Sat 27-Oct-12 19:15:20

I didn't realise that tt. I thought thecare had to some kind of club/nursery if not on site but didn't know about child minders.

Onslow infants have good before/after care so might be worth considering.

cece Sat 27-Oct-12 19:23:10

I wouldn't limit my choice of school based on before and after school care. Especially when CM can do the job. I have always used CM as I found the before school clubs don't start early enough for me.

tiggytape Sat 27-Oct-12 23:53:27

Ughfootballseason - not that is the case unfortunately. A lot of areas are well served in the sense that most / every school has an after school club at least. But in other areas they are rarer and the school's only obligation then is to tell parents where wrap around care can be found (a list of CMs or details of an off-site childcare company). The school don't have to have any direct involvement in this.

It is also the case that a lot of people go to great lengths to get into a school with on site childcare only to find there is a waiting list and they might not be able to use the breakfast or after school club for some months or even years.

For that reason, unless the school can confirm it has ample places for new starters, I wouldn't base school decisions on childcare facilities alone.

MidnightinMoscow Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:12

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

cece - CM might be an option too, I agree.

I also have to factor in that DD will be going to nursery in Burpham too, all very logistically challenging!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now