Talk

Advanced search

Not having reading levels in reception.

(11 Posts)
pigleychez Fri 26-Oct-12 15:56:06

DD's class dont have any set reading levels that they use. The children pick their own books each morning to share at home. Parents record and comment in their reading records not that it gets read.
She has read with a parent helper once and a teacher twice. The teacher has been reading the books to DD and chatting about the story. How do they monitor how they are progressing with their reading?

learnandsay Fri 26-Oct-12 16:00:57

I'd ask them that. I'd guess they're being casual about it and listening to the children now and again and seeing what they can read and what they can't. They probably put words up on the board and ask individual children to read them. But at this stage they're probably not expecting all children to be able to read at all, some are still learning letter sounds.

mrz Fri 26-Oct-12 16:06:09

It sounds as if these books are meant for parents to read to their child not for the child to read. Many settings let children select books to share at home for enjoyment ... they will usually start home reading books when the child begins to decode enough words as well as continuing with a story book.

pigleychez Fri 26-Oct-12 16:23:22

mrz There is a variety of books. Some are story books others are more formal reading books. Story street,songirds etc.
DD chooses to pick the reading books and reads them to me. Currently picking books around step4/5 of the story street books.
I understand the benefit of reading stories to them and she has a story read to her every night.

As far as I can see from her reading record that the only person to actually listen to DD read is a parent helper. The teachers have all read to her.

midseasonsale Sun 28-Oct-12 12:24:29

They will probably start on biff kipper and chip after xmas? it seems that different schools have different introductions to reading.

simpson Sun 28-Oct-12 19:59:29

Have you written in her diary that she read the book??

Also have you told the teacher that she can read?

(Although teacher should work this out for herself)....

pigleychez Sun 28-Oct-12 20:35:58

simpson Theres about 4 pages of my comments on how she reads the books to me, how she's using Phonics to decode words in her environment and reads what I write in the book as im writing it.
I have told the teacher that she reads already.

midseason Im hoping your right.

Ive just come across Reading eggs and tempted to sign up so that DD can progress at home if school arent going to be very proactive!

simpson Sun 28-Oct-12 20:41:35

Have you looked at Oxford owl??

It's very good I use it with my own DD (also in reception)

Have you got parents eve coming up soon?

mrz Sun 28-Oct-12 21:25:03

Oxford Owl has the advantage of being free and matching how children are taught in the UK

pigleychez Sun 28-Oct-12 21:25:11

Yes, Got Oxford Owl and she has Biff, chip and Kipper books at home.

Had parents evening last week. When I mentioned about her reading we got speel about wanting her to be an well rounded child and not wanting to focus on just one area. I do understand this but surely if she is ahead in an area (literacy) then this should be encouraged.
Ive told DD that next time she does reading with a teacher to say that she wants to read to them.

Im hoping they will start on some more structured reading but if not then I may have to bring it up with the class teacher again.

simpson Sun 28-Oct-12 22:12:02

Grrrr how annoying!!!

Good idea on getting your DD to say that she wants to read the books though....

I guess all you can do ATM is supplement her reading books at home.

We use the reading chest for DD too....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now