Talk

Advanced search

what's important in a primary school?

(10 Posts)
littlesavages Thu 25-Oct-12 19:57:08

Hi, I have to apply for a primary school place next week and am on the border of two primary schools. One is very traditional and is ofsted excellent, but is very cramped inside with only two small school yards. The second is ofsted good (last one was in 2009) parents speak very highly of it and it is enormous, with playing fields, a forest school where the children go for outside lessons and an allotment. I have been wowed by the facilities of the second one and the headteacher showed me round personally and was very nice, but it is criticised by ofsted for not pushing bright kids hard enough. What is more important at that age stricter academic lesons or a nicer, more free environment for a child to learn?
thanks

Prarieflower Thu 25-Oct-12 20:29:19

Outstanding leadership is what i'd go for,look on both reports.

colditz Thu 25-Oct-12 20:29:49

I would so go for the one with space.

yellowsubmarine53 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:10:48

If Ofsted have criticised the school for not pushing bright kids hard enough (this is a very common observation by Ofsted, btw), then the school will be addressing exactly this issue.

If you liked the head and facilities of the second one, definitely go for that as first choice.

midseasonsale Thu 25-Oct-12 21:38:04

Go with the one you are drawn to.

alcofrolic Thu 25-Oct-12 21:41:01

Happy children and staff.

addictedtolatte Thu 25-Oct-12 21:53:41

go with your instincts. there your best tools in life

sausagesandwich34 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:03:50

if it was highlighted in the last ofsted which was 3 years ago, then they will have done work in this area

my DD's school had the same comment and the work they have put into stretching the more able is fantastic

go with your gut and then be confident in your decision

tethersend Thu 25-Oct-12 22:06:48

Ask yourself how you'd feel if you chose the cramped school and it was downgraded at the next Ofsted inspection.

I would choose the school with space. The way you are talking about it tells me you like it more grin

SlinkyPebbles Thu 25-Oct-12 22:18:21

Don't take too much notice of Ofsted. Clearly it's a guide, but not the be all and end all. Go with your gut feeling (sounds like you prefer the second one to me).

When looking at the Ofsted report, check out the Early Years stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: