Talk

Advanced search

Are your children taught times tables at school?

(10 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 25-Oct-12 18:15:17

My DC both attend a very good primary (outstanding Ofsted, really good so far). But I am a bit concerned that DD is in year 3 and no times tables have been taught yet. They have done some basics on it and counting in groups of 2, 5, 10 etc but there has been no formal learning of the tables at all. A friend whose DC is at another very good school up the road said you have to teach them yourself. Her DD got to the last term in year 3 and they asked her why she hadn't learnt the times tables yet and what the mum was planning to do about it!

Is this normal? Should I be going through them with her every night or something?

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Thu 25-Oct-12 18:21:41

DD started them halfway through Yr 3 I think. They did teach them in class but they also featured in homework for quite a while.

mrz Thu 25-Oct-12 18:40:51

Most schools teach 2, 5 and 10 times tables in Y2 then the rest in Y3 & 4.

strictlovingmum Thu 25-Oct-12 18:59:16

DD in Y2 x2345 and 10, top table, every homework so far had those time tables since end of September, last week home work had division facts of those time tables(2,5,10)
DD has no problem with learning them and we repeat them in order and randomly every evening, she did struggle a bit at the beginning, but it's rather good at it now, DD says every morning they chant them, whole class together and then teacher ask random x questions and who gets three right gets a x star for a day(badge stuck on your shirt collar)smile it works.

beingagoodmumishard Thu 25-Oct-12 19:04:51

my DS has just started in Y3 and they now have times table tests every Friday. If a child does well in their test then they get a slightly more challenging test the following week. If a child doesn't do well then they will repeat the test the following week, and parents are meant to go through the tests at home to help them. My DS is currently being tested on the 5 and 6 times tables

During the week they may also do some activities in maths that will help them with their times tables but they don't sit there saying them by rote

lljkk Thu 25-Oct-12 19:13:28

What mrz said. Lots of TT in yr3. Class TT competitions in yr4+.

Woozley Thu 25-Oct-12 19:25:17

DD1 did them from Y1, loads last year in Y2. I definitely didn't start until the juniors though when I was at school so that would have been Y3. I was surprised she started them so early.

MissAnnersley Thu 25-Oct-12 19:54:42

DS learned them in P.3 and 4.

redskyatnight Thu 25-Oct-12 20:20:28

They were taught in DS's school and he had practising tables as his homework throughout Y3. His (non pushy) school expect all children to have good recall of all tables by the end of Y4.

Mominatrix Thu 25-Oct-12 20:30:57

DS1 did them in year 1. Year 2 was solidifying, Year 3 was for speed, and now the expectation is that they are able to do a mixed 10x10 grid in 3 minutes (some are able to do this in half the time!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now