Talk

Advanced search

'Silly' behaviour in reception

(11 Posts)
Sillyreceptionmum Wed 24-Oct-12 22:41:28

I know this is probably a stupid thing to worry about and I have name-changed.

DS is 4 and seems to be settling into reception really well. His teacher says that he is doing well, he seems to have learned lots and he has made friends.

But, I really worry about his behaviour - he is prone to 'silliness', particularly towards the end of the day and I hate the idea that he might be labeled as a pain in the neck in class because of it. Over the last week his behaviour at home seems to be worse - not doing as he is asked, not listening, calling friends silly names (reciprocated!), talking nonsense when asked a question... None of it is major stuff and I know I should be happy that I am not dealing with bigger problems but I still find it difficult to deal with.

I guess what I am asking is whether this 'silly' behaviour is fairly typical in a 4yr old boy? Is this normal end of term tiredness? Am I getting worked up over nothing and should just let the teachers deal with it at school and accept that he will eventually learn the consequences?

PiggeryJokery Wed 24-Oct-12 22:43:49

So so so SO normal! I have been there (still am in year 1) and the teacher will have seen it all before don't worry! And yes he's probably over tired and much in need of the break.

JasperStreet Wed 24-Oct-12 22:43:50

Sounds similar to my DD who's also in Reception. I wouldn't worry unless the teacher raises it.

ChristmasKate Wed 24-Oct-12 22:45:29

It's typical in our house! It's nearly end of term here and DD has done so well with behaving in class which means she has been a bit of a tired brat when at home or she will declare "I have had such a busy day today in the play corner"

She also finds the most trivial things so very funny and will roll about at any mention of bums hmm

CJMommy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:46:57

Will watchh this with interest - my DS is in reception and exactly the same! He is bright, interested, sociable and can be a delight.......but has also developed a complete inability to listen and is arguing back with me, DH and teachers. He seems to be spending alot of time in 'Time Out' too and I worry that he will get labelled as 'difficult'.

Zoonose Wed 24-Oct-12 22:53:08

Also similar to my DS who is 4 and in reception. His teacher said that it was good to see 'silliness' coming out as it meant he was feeling comfortable in the environment. However, it's hard not to worry when he's doing things like eg poking another boy (a friend also in reception) in the stomach for fun on the way out of school the other day (other boy thought it was hilarious but I did not really know what to say! - told DS to be gentle) and racing down the footpath at the side of school shrieking (followed by 2 year old sister, also shrieking) when other children are apparently walking quite normally home. At home when he is being obviously over silly due to tiredness I try and get him to stop and look at me by getting down to his level and talking to him calmly and quietly - just to emphasise the point that there is a point where silliness goes too far. I'm hoping he will calm down and between me/DH and teachers he will gradually learn where the line of acceptable behaviour falls. It's just something he needs to learn.

Sillyreceptionmum Wed 24-Oct-12 22:54:04

Thanks, I feel better knowing it's not just me smile.

I suspect I am also tired, a bit emotional and not as rational as usual. I am a bit of a perfectionist and I sometimes feel that DS's daft behaviour reflects on me as a parent. It doesn't help when I go in and all of the other children appear to be perfectly behaved, even though the logical part of me knows that this can't possibly be the case all the time!

kw13 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:18:13

Watching with a lot of interest. My DS (now year 2) had silliness mentioned in his school report at the end of year 1. I had always known that he was prone to it, is the youngest in his class and less physically and emotionally developed as other class members. I showed him his report - which was full of his achievements and good things as well, and it brought him up short a bit. Year 2 has been a huge change - he takes it all much more seriously now (and school is more challenging as well) and makes more of an effort in the classroom. I think that they grow out of it a little - that tiredness has a huge impact on its level; but that they are all different and that maybe it is just also part of his personality and makes him such a nice person to be with and have so many friends (and be elected by his peers to the school council - cue proud parent face).

gingercat12 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:47:23

I thought it was only mine. He even does it at football. He is too busy to pose as Superman with his mate to see the ball...

Mine is so tired that we only ever take him to football, and only because it is right next to us and at lunchtime. By then he would have woken up. I saw the other thread about how many classes other parents take their children. Their children must be superhuman. Mine is just shattered all day every day - not in an ill kind of way, but a naughty kind of way.

kw13 You give us hope, thanks!

ChristmasKate Thu 25-Oct-12 19:33:53

Had parents evening today and DDs teacher said she was kind, patient, clever blah blah. I was hmm and had to sneak a look at her list to check she had the right child smile

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Thu 25-Oct-12 19:39:07

I teach reception. I love silly children (...provided no-one is getting hurt).
It's also the end of a very long half term here and silliness is v common in my classsroom at the moment. Sometimes it's the children and sometimes it's the teachers. (Going for a lie down now.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now