Talk

Advanced search

Parent's Evening/ jobshare teachers

(25 Posts)
eachpeach11 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:10:53

Would you expect both teacher's to attend?

mam29 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:22:05

only had 1 job share reception ynear and both teachers attended.

yes i would unless very good reason.
its part of their vocational duties dd has 2 teachers very different from each other so sometimes in those cases they get different glimpse of child especially if child has a fave.

shineygoldpenny Wed 24-Oct-12 13:24:32

No, just the one who is supposed to be working that day. If you want to see the other one, you can always make an appointment and see her at the end of any other school day.

throckenholt Wed 24-Oct-12 13:26:38

When we had that situation both teachers were there. Not sure if I would expect it or not - I guess it depends on their contract, and if they have a good reason why they are not available on the givne day.

RedZombie Wed 24-Oct-12 13:26:44

Both attended for our parents evening, together in the same room.
Never had any issues with job share, tbh, they were fantastically we'll organised.

Myliferocks Wed 24-Oct-12 13:28:25

Over the years 4 of my DC have had the same 2 teachers who job share.
Every parents evening they have both been there.

bumpybecky Wed 24-Oct-12 13:30:15

dd3 has job share teachers in year 1 and both were there at parent's evenings.

In year 2 the teacher is also the deputy head, so has more time off for other responsibilities so have at least two other teachers doing a half day a week. That year it was just the main teacher, not the others (but then they were teachers for other classes too, so not possible)

dd1 is in year 10 and has two teachers for (double) science. We're only getting to see one at parents evening as there aren't enough appointments for that teacher to see all their pupils. I've emailed and asked for a very brief summary of her progress (is she working hard enough, is she doing her homework).

BackforGood Wed 24-Oct-12 13:36:45

No, only the one who worked on that day.
I have been in the situation where the other teacher gave up their evening and came into work for no pay, and felt it was as much about them wanting to put faces to some of the parents, tbh - which is fair enough, their choice, but it's not necessary from a parents POV.

amidaiwish Wed 24-Oct-12 13:38:54

yes i would.
unless the other teacher had extra duties, eg doubled up as deputy head, but even then they should make an effort.

maebyfunke Wed 24-Oct-12 13:40:22

I've been to parents evenings when just the one working that day has attened and most recently (this week) one where both the teachers attended.

yr1 job share a couple of years go and both were there each time. I think parents appreciated it.

midseasonsale Wed 24-Oct-12 13:44:37

I would probably like them both too depending on the teachers but I would understand that one may not be working that day

Goldenjubilee10 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:45:37

Ds3 (6) had one teacher for 4 days and one for the other day last year. Only the main teacher was at the parent evenings. I have yet to see the other one!

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Oct-12 13:45:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teamthrills Wed 24-Oct-12 13:46:06

If parents evening is on a day when one jobshare teacher does not work, then they do not have to attend. Some teachers jobshare with someone who is full time, but has other responsibilities (like a deputy head) and in that case both would probably attend. Some teachers may swap their working day so that they are present for parents evening, but that isn't compulsory.

BarbarianMum Wed 24-Oct-12 14:10:50

No - I would hope they communicated well enough that either was able to give an accurate assessment of dc's progress.

lakeofshiningwaters Wed 24-Oct-12 17:34:02

What BarbarianMum said.

I've done both, and actually, 2 teachers there can be a bit awkward - parents don't know which one to look at or address and it can all get a bit 'No sorry, you go', 'No you go' etc!

A good jobshare will already have outlined what need to be discussed for each child and will follow up afterwards.

My last ht asked only one of us to attend each p/e as she didn't want to set a precedence that she couldn't enforce.

clam Wed 24-Oct-12 19:30:51

I've job-shared for 15 years now and have always attended all, whether or not it's my official working day. Have never been paid extra. I want to meet the parents and think it's important they see us both so they will feel they can come to either of us equally if any problem crops up.

teacherwith2kids Wed 24-Oct-12 20:34:42

Am like clam - though now full time, as a jobshare I always attended all. Effective communication and partnership with parents is important - and that couple of hours of my lfe pays such dividends over the year that it seems worth the investment.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 24-Oct-12 21:13:37

Or job share teachers always attend together, even though one of them doesn't work on the day in question.

crazygracieuk Wed 24-Oct-12 21:18:27

Both were at PE today. I expected the one who worked today only.

pudding25 Wed 24-Oct-12 22:15:20

I am job-share. We both always attend. They always seem to be on my day off! We don't have to if it is not on the day we work but are encouraged to. I think it is important for the parents to see both of us plus we teach different areas of the curriculum. Also, it is so much easier having another teacher with you when you are shattered by the end of the evening!

Mominatrix Wed 24-Oct-12 22:26:37

Yes. one of my DSs has a job share teacher, and they both were there at the most recent parent-teacher meeting. It is necessary as they specialize in 2 different subjects (one maths, and the other English) and input from both was important as they focus on different aspects of my son's academic progression.

RillaBlythe Wed 24-Oct-12 22:31:38

My dd is in a job share reception & I hope they will both be there. I'd understand if not though.

Littlefish Wed 24-Oct-12 22:47:26

When job sharing, my partner teacher and I have both attended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now