Talk

Advanced search

I need teacher help please

(12 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Tue 23-Oct-12 18:43:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wellthen Tue 23-Oct-12 18:55:46

Do the official tests have any bearing on anything? As in do you plan to put her in for 11 plus etc?

I think what the teacher is trying to say is that your child is learning and being supported but the nature of the tests mean they wont represent her true ability. I would read this as her 'giving up' just that the teacher feels limited.

A statement will help a lot when it comes to secondary school and hopefully mean that more is done to allow her to access her GCSEs and so on. This is where testing really counts so I can see why a primary teacher may not share your concern.

I wouldnt worry now too much till next year. In year 6, especially if she gets her statement, its worth looking into how children with similar problems are helped to access the SATs. Not because the SATs have any real meaning but because it will put your mind a rest for the future that she isnt going to fail every test she sits!

That said, if she is below a level 3 she doesnt need to put in for the SATs so this may be a moot point.

Whistlingwaves Tue 23-Oct-12 19:11:21

crappypatty Tue 23-Oct-12 19:19:45

Does she have 121 support? is she able to have someone scribe for her? my understanding is that if they use a scribe regularly in class that she can use a scribe for SATs.

Does she find it easier to use a laptop?

What interventions are they currently using? has the Ed Pysch assessed and made recommendations?

CaramelAndCinammon Tue 23-Oct-12 19:23:42

That's what secondary school told me.

That if DC couldn't write well they'll be in the bottom set - regardless of ability. sad

Whistlingwaves Tue 23-Oct-12 19:39:30

crappypatty Tue 23-Oct-12 20:34:04

Has Ed Pysch observed/assessed yet?

regarding what the teacher said, I would get that in writing to support her need for a statement. Get a written record of everything. Send an email, just to clarify at our meeting you said ABC.

Get parent partnership involved they can be a big help, and will be able to help in getting a meeting with SENCO.

Whistlingwaves Wed 24-Oct-12 07:22:12

lc200 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:30:47

It is not that uncommon for a child to be verbally extremely bright, but have very poor literary skills. Rest assured she will not be the only one in the bottom set like her. I teach secondary SEN, and teach a lot of very clever children, who just can't get it down on paper. Our job is to help them access the wider curriculum as far as they possibly can. Sometimes it is heartbreaking to see their frustration. Your commitment to her education will make a massive difference though. Good luck with getting the statement.

educatingarti Wed 24-Oct-12 10:14:06

Whistling - if her issues are to do with physically writing, have you got her assessed by a paediatric OT? Your GP can refer you. The OT may be able to recommend exercises to help with writing co-ordination. HE/she may also recommend that your dd uses a laptop.

There is no reason why your dd shouldn't be able to use a laptop if that means she can get things down better. I think if it were me I'd be fighting for this. Some schools have a strange mentality that children have to hand write everything (I've even heard them give the reason "because he'll have to hand write his SATs") when this is not in their best interests. If she gets used to using a scribe/laptop now, she can use it for her year 6 SATs.

If you are in Greater Manchester or near, I can recommend a great OT working as a handwriting tutor who may also be able to help! PM me if interested!

Whistlingwaves Wed 24-Oct-12 10:35:37

educatingarti Wed 24-Oct-12 12:57:20

I've PM'ed you back and from what you said about your daughter, I think this tutor may be able to help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now