Talk

Advanced search

Which school polos crease the least?

(26 Posts)
AnotherTeacherMum Tue 23-Oct-12 10:03:46

Sorry for such a mundane domestic question blush

DCs school have gone to £7 per polo, with 2 dc and me being full time I need a fair few (like to have have 10 really- one each for each day) so opted for M&S 'outstanding value'ones- which are fine except they crease SO much- even if they are tumble dried or if dried on a hanger.

The school's trutex ones were good for this,but £70 is just too much to spend on school polos.

Will I have to just suck it up and get on with the ironing (I HATE ironing) or has anyone had better luck with supermarket / high street?

Thanks

gegs73 Tue 23-Oct-12 10:07:15

After searching for the perfect polo shirt which doesn't crease when tumbled or shrink, I have found them! BHS is the answer. Can get a pack of 3 from memory for about £10. Have tried M&S, Next, Supermarkets etc but these are by far the best.

radicalsubstitution Tue 23-Oct-12 10:09:09

Unfortunately, we have found that the only 'non-creasy' polo shirts are the ones from the school uniform shop with the logo on.

We have tried all the major supermarket ones, and they all need ironing.

We have found that the logo shirts also wash better, stay whiter and keep their shape better.

Does your school have a second-hand uniform sale?

DameMargotFountain Tue 23-Oct-12 10:10:26

sainsbury's polos are getting my vote right now

they are lovely and soft on the inside too, so good for DCs with sensory issues

AnotherTeacherMum Tue 23-Oct-12 10:18:11

Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately the school does not have a second hand sale. Will check out the BHS ones- thanks.

I guess you get what you pay for -the school one are much heavier.

Perhaps I'd better re-aquaint myself with the iron sad

oohnewshoes Tue 23-Oct-12 10:21:09

Hunter ones are great. I had to buy from the uniform shop as ds needed plain cream.

I am a self confessed ironing freek and these are the only items in the house that I don't feel the need to iron.

at six euro a pop [£4.50-£5] they were well worth the money. I'm sure you could buy them on tinter wed

BlueChampagne Tue 23-Oct-12 13:09:46

John Lewis ones seem to be going OK but I am a complete ironing slattern.

Woozley Tue 23-Oct-12 15:13:27

The Sainsbury's ones we bought this summer are indeed very soft.

RaisinBoys Tue 23-Oct-12 15:28:38

I must be a terrible Mum as I don't iron any polo shirts.

Second vote fo Bhs.

RaisinBoys Tue 23-Oct-12 15:30:40

Body heat works a treat at getting the creases out!

mam29 Tue 23-Oct-12 19:13:19

can someone tell me which bhs looked at polos on website none of them said non iron but the shirts did have no iron. bhs had value polos and normal polos

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 23-Oct-12 22:13:07

Rule one of school uniform.
It is never ever ever ever ironed.

No one will notice if a polo shirt is crumpled.

Unfortunately, I did notice the strange colours some of them go on washing.

8etty8lue Wed 24-Oct-12 11:29:49

Definitely buy BHS. The reason is that they are 50/50 poly cotton. Because of this they also wash well. I found it a nightmare to remove white board black marker pen from the 100% cotton ones. The BHS ones are also a generous fit unlike M&S

Goldenjubilee10 Wed 24-Oct-12 14:32:58

The vertbaudet ones are great and they stay really white. They are probably a wee bit dearer than supermarket but often deals to be had.

AbbyRue Wed 24-Oct-12 16:21:00

What do you mean no one will notice a crumpled shirt? hmm

I hate ironing and only do the bare minimum but I would never send DCs to school in creasy clothing.

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 16:41:49

You can't see their pools for high necked sweatshirts at primary.
By the time DD2 has finished making a mess of tying her tie, her colour is crumpled.

But mostly, I mean life is far too short to care about the odd crumple.

gegs73 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:49:22

Hi again. The value and normal polo shirts are the same inside the pack, it is just the packaging which is different. From memory they were not named as non iron on the pack, but if you tumble dry them they are crease free.

fossil97 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:31

You need to get the same sort of polo shirts from a T shirt supplier that the embroidery company uses - probably a 50/50 polycotton mix. You can get them from ebay, there are loads of brands like Fruit of the Loom etc. They are more expensive than Tesco but cheaper than the logo ones, IIRC 2 for £7 is typical.

I don't care about ironing but was finding that "pure" cotton shirts fade and go stiff very badly.

mcrvamp Wed 24-Oct-12 22:04:22

My vote goes to store twentyone (used to be QS) 1.99 for a pack of two. Wash and tumble brilliantly, stay white and don't shrink.

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 22:48:52

Our QS closedsad

plainjayne123 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:52:39

Trutex uniforms are great, I never iron and they look fine.

sunnyday123 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:45:52

I use asda £2.50 for 2!! I buy 4 each. Much better than m&s imo which I find shrink. No matter which i buy though i would always iron school uniform! some kids look like they've been dragged through a bush before they even get to school- I'd be mortified!

busymummy3 Tue 30-Oct-12 00:06:22

another vote for ASDA !!! Cannot believe I have been paying M&S prices - about £8 for a pack of 4 polos all these years when You can better quality polos in ASDA for £2.50 for a pack of 2. I have also used their boys long sleeved white shirts this year - again an unbelievable price for a pack of 2 (think it was £3.50?) and they are every bit as good as M&S which I have been paying £12 for a pack of 3 the last number of years.
As for ironing - I am another mum who irons all school uniform just cannot bear to see some of them at school looking as if they have slept in it

I was going to say M&S but you've tried those. I find they aren't creased at all if you hang the straight from the dryer and if they are a bit creased from line drying they fall out as soon as they are put on. I never iron them but they don't go into school creased either.

scottishmummy Tue 30-Oct-12 00:29:46

tesco.I've never ironed any uniforms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now