Talk

Advanced search

'we said thanks to God today mummy!' Really??

(333 Posts)
unexpectediteminbaggingarea Mon 22-Oct-12 17:55:26

Apparently a 'special lady' came and told my son and his class that God gave them a special gift so they should all say thank you to him. And they did.

Does this kind of shit go on everywhere? It's not a church school. I am an athiest. My son, aged 4, is now apparently not. He says that, thinking about it, he now thinks God is real and the reason you can't see him is because he 'lives in a different country, maybe London'.

I'm actually quite pissed off about it (not the London bit, that was funny), but if it's what happens everywhere or is some kind of statutory thing I suppose I'll have to suck it up. If it's not I may write to the head.

Although I do think more time on geography and less time on God might be better for DS grin .

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Oct-12 17:57:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Im really annoyed about this kind of thing. I dont know why religion needs to be taught in schools.

I dont see why non religious people still have to have their beliefs disregarded.

Woozley Mon 22-Oct-12 18:03:32

Does this kind of shit go on everywhere?

Unfortunately, yes, or if not everywhere it is widespread. I was very surprised how things haven't changed in the last 30 years in this regard. I really think teaching the existence of God as fact should be illegal in state non-faith schools. I'd like to get rid of all faith schools as well but that's another matter...

If you choose a non denominational school for your child though they should not be indoctrinated in this way. Though you can counteract it at home, eventually anyway, I don't think it should happen at all. The law pretty much requires that it does though as schools are still required to hold religious assemblies.

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Oct-12 18:37:52

ninah Mon 22-Oct-12 18:42:05

make sure you take him to London at half term op, he'll think he's in heaven

DizzyPurple Mon 22-Oct-12 18:42:15

What are you so afraid of?

pointyfangs Mon 22-Oct-12 18:42:34

If it's any consolation, OP, it's normal for them to go through a really religious phase when they're 4-5 years old. As they get older, it changes. My DDs both went to a C of E primary, had the God stage and at the ages of 9 and 11 are currently self-confessed atheists. DD2 is still at her C of E school and her lack of belief is not an issue.

DH has faith, I do not, and we both feel that it is not up to us to decide what our DDs believe or don't believe - we're leaving it up to them.

Yes, but then situations like in the OP happen. In assembly etc.

I have nothing against religion being taught in the context of "here are the different beliefs" but how do I know the teacher isnt subtly passing on his/her own beliefs?

And why should my child be removed because the school chooses to teach christianity as gospel?

IMO it is up to parents, and parents alone, to educate about religion.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 22-Oct-12 18:44:02

You might find this interesting.

Why does not believing in God make someone afraid of something? Does that belief not deserve the same respect as organised religion?

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Oct-12 18:45:42

peachypips Mon 22-Oct-12 18:47:26

Whatever happened to leaving kids to make up their own minds?

But why is it acceptable to have a situation in which a child might have to withdraw?

It isnt. School is not the place for worship.

Teaching children from a young age the things I was taught is indoctrination.

Let them make up their own minds when they are old enough to see things in a wider context.

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Oct-12 18:51:49

peachypips Mon 22-Oct-12 18:52:44

I assume they teach other points of view too? In science for example? How do our kids grow up to be balanced and live-and-let-live if they are not exposed to different beliefs? They will have to survive in a world where there are all kinds of people and opinions. Good to prepare them I think.

Schools have to have some sort of spiritual aspect to some of their assemblies, although most state schools take this in quite a light way. For example, at the harvest assembly at the school where I work, the children were told to close their eyes and think about those less fortunate than us. Those who wanted to pray silently did so during this time. Others were just thoughtful.

My main issue with your post is that I don't understand why it is a problem if your child wants to believe in God. Why shouldn't he be allowed to explore this? I am a Christian but have children in my class who do not believe in God and I respect their beliefs as much as I would hope they respect mine.

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Oct-12 18:54:00

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 22-Oct-12 18:54:25

One experience of a "special lady" in assembly talking about God is not indoctrination.

I'm sure you're quite capable of giving your views at home.

ShowOfBloodyStumps Mon 22-Oct-12 18:55:12

We were on the bus t'other day and there was a teenager behind us moaning about how Drew from Upper Sixth had totally blanked her and her sour faced cow of a Mum wouldn't let her go clubbing as she's underage and <sigh> "it's not fair, I feel like nobody loves me".

5yo dd turned round and kindly intoned "that's not true, God loves you".

She doesn't go to a faith school, it's the result of the religious element of your bog standard primary.

I'm not too worried as she also comes home singing "Sing Lasagne, Siiiing Lasagne, SIIIIING LASAGNE to the King of Kings".

LindyHemming Mon 22-Oct-12 18:56:46

peachypips Mon 22-Oct-12 18:56:55

Also, if Christians withdrew their kids from some science theory lessons they would also not learn how to deal with the world. So it works both ways. The Big Bang is taught as fact, and many Christians don't want it to be, for example. The same thing IMO.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Oct-12 18:58:59

I am always astounded that people don't realise that non faith schools are non denominational and there are no secular schools. see here

LindyHemming Mon 22-Oct-12 19:02:33

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now