Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything like oxford owl that works on an iPad??

(18 Posts)
simpson Mon 22-Oct-12 17:10:54

Reading eggs does not work either sad

It would be useful if I could put a few books on the iPad for DC (7 and 4 ) to be able to read to me...

Anyone got any ideas???

Tgger Mon 22-Oct-12 22:40:51

hmmmmm, I know my sister does this so it is possible, as does husband. Just asked husband. You can use kindle app- some free stuff, and some you can buy. Then there is ibooks- free app, where you can get stuff too.
Hope you suss it!

simpson Tue 23-Oct-12 20:44:05

Thanks....

I have bought DS (7) and android tablet for Xmas. So I guess we will have to use that...

Just gutted the iPad does not have more tbh...

I did find a few good numeracy apps though!!

mrz Tue 23-Oct-12 20:56:07

Do the Bug Club book in the learning section work on an i pad?

simpson Tue 23-Oct-12 21:00:16

Do you mean the learning section of MN???

If so then none of the books work sad

mrz Tue 23-Oct-12 21:02:32

Sorry it was a long shot sad

simpson Tue 23-Oct-12 21:07:47

Thanks anyway, tbh when I saw your first post I had forgotten about them so had to go off and check!!!

MegMogAndOwl Tue 23-Oct-12 21:21:15

There's books available from the App Store. Some are free like goldilocks or Pinocchio and there's some to buy too. They range from about 69p to around £5. I've only tried green eggs and ham so far but my ds enjoyed it. You can either listen to the story or read it. if they touch a word when get stuck and it says it for them. smile

simpson Tue 23-Oct-12 22:21:05

Thanks, will have another look...

I have just found The Hare and the Tortoise for free!!! So that is good grin

MegMogAndOwl Fri 26-Oct-12 07:52:51

I've just found out that our local library is starting an ebook service that is free. I haven't looked at it yet but it might be another avenue to investigate smile

LegArmpits Fri 26-Oct-12 07:53:45

If you download Puffin browser to iPad, Oxford owl works.

LegArmpits Fri 26-Oct-12 07:55:20

Oooooh! Also, Me Books is FANTASTIC. All the old Ladybird books, narrated by funny people. Josie Lawrence does some.

SavoyCabbage Fri 26-Oct-12 07:57:05

There are different apps you can ibstall to bypass the adobe problem, like Legarmpits says. I think the one we use is called rover.

simpson Fri 26-Oct-12 08:18:35

Downloading puffin browser now, fingers x it does the job!!!

simpson Fri 26-Oct-12 16:28:43

<<dances round room >>

It works!!!

I have a free trial for 14 days then I have to pay (not much) for it, which I will as Oxford owl is worth every penny grin

Tgger Fri 26-Oct-12 22:03:26

Fab! Useful to know. Not so attached to Oxfordowl anymore, but think DD may use it in time more than DS did (prob due to Oxfordowl not working very well on my laptop- could never get the size right, and me preferring paper type books!). DD loves the ipad, mostly DH gives her cakes to make etc on it at the moment!

simpson Fri 26-Oct-12 22:14:32

It's also going to be used for reading eggs as I have a free 3 week trial for it so will see if DD wants to do it tomorrow.

She has already read 2 books on Oxford owl tonight grin

icapturethecastle Sat 27-Oct-12 21:53:49

Thanks Great tip am just downloading puffin as was keen to use Oxford owl on iPad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now