Talk

Advanced search

can you recommend a maths website please?

(15 Posts)
oldbootface Mon 22-Oct-12 08:56:02

DD (8) clueless about maths sad Want to work with her over half term and am looking for a good maths website.

TIA

Fuzzymum1 Mon 22-Oct-12 10:08:10

Mathletics is very good, but not cheap.

BBC bitesize might be a good starting point (and is free)

BiscuitsandBaileys Mon 22-Oct-12 10:33:52

I was also going to suggest bbc bitesize. Dd2 really enjoys playing on there and theres lots of games to choose from with three levels of difficulty.

RosemaryandThyme Mon 22-Oct-12 15:07:42

I wouldn't recommend BBC bitesize for a struggler, the games are very short and explainations limited so if she's really not understanding it will be of limited help.

Avoid Carol Vordamort too, unless she really likes to repeat and repeat, the tutorial function is good but progress relies on fast answers, if keyboard skills are weak or mental arithmatic poor then the child can get stuck repeating over and over the same 20 questions.

Mathswhizz is a possible, Education City covers a reasonable amount of maths though there is the distraction of other topics available too so might need to guide back to maths from say literacy.

Personally before plonking in frount of computer package I'd be gathering some old fashioned kit of the board game variety - loads of stuff for 99p on ebay, and playing with her for a couple of weeks to try and find out which bits of maths she finds hard.

jomidmum Mon 22-Oct-12 17:53:52

We use Conquer Maths, as it teaches methods in short tutorials then you do some questions. Some sites (mathletics and bitesize being 2 of them) tend to just let your child practice and play, rather than helping with the explanation of it clearly.

SoundsWrite Mon 22-Oct-12 18:13:42

For me, there's only one candidate: http://www.singaporemath.co.uk/index.html

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Oct-12 18:18:25

http://www.khanacademy.org/

You can use this as a syllabus!

Blimey though - it's grown since I last looked at it in amazement.

beezmum Tue 23-Oct-12 16:21:59

RM Maths is brilliant. not a website. A course in primary school maths you can buy on Amazon, I think it's about £50 and is great from age 4 or earlier right up through primary. Your child does sessions everyday and it covers all key areas, moving the child up as they improve. It's amazing value for money. Dds primary school used it which is how I know of it.

midseasonsale Tue 23-Oct-12 18:48:31

mathletics is what my sons school use

nataliemcphail Wed 24-Oct-12 13:47:37

We use the maths factor. Fantastic content, builds confidence in numbers at all ages. There are arithmetic schools, summer schools, winter schools and revision clubs all at reasonable prices.

Alitoomanykids Wed 24-Oct-12 13:49:40

tutpup - appeals to my 9yr old son as it is set up as a game, is competitive, its free and you can play at different levels. This site was recommended by school for when the kids were snowed in last year.

(hope you can find the site ok if you google it)

12xtables Wed 24-Oct-12 15:23:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Feenie Wed 24-Oct-12 19:06:03

Free it may be, but it also generates income for you when people click on it. Free advertising is not allowed on MN - reported.

Taffraid Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:30

DD has just started the maths factor and I can see a big improvement in her mental arithmetic in 2 weeks.

I like that its tailored - I don't have the time to research free online worksheets and then assess her exact requirements and level each time .

mameulah Wed 24-Oct-12 22:02:37

topmarks is a brilliant education search engine. What in particular is your DS struggling with. I may have some ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now