Talk

Advanced search

DS worrying until he's sick - what to do?

(9 Posts)
Mumtogremlins Sun 21-Oct-12 22:04:07

Hi

My DS is 8 and has always been the worrying type. Last May he had bad tummy aches and was waking up in the night crying with pain, and being sick on and off. I never found out what was wrong.
Last week he had something at school that he was looking forward to and came home the day before with a tummy ache. After a few hours I realised he could be worrying about the next day and told him not to think about it. His tummy ache went pretty quick
Then he came home with a tummy ache the day before the harvest festival and it got worse and worse until he was sick. He missed the harvest festival and was better within hours
Thinking back to May, he had his birthday and sats type tests so that clearly made him worry himself sick. What can I do to help him with these school events as its really bad that he's only 8 and can't cope with a harvest festival. Whats he going to be like when he's older? Any advice appreciated
Thanks

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 22:06:37

sad Poor lad. What about a worry doll, so he can tell it his worries before he goes to sleep, or a diary so that he can write them down?

Mumtogremlins Sun 21-Oct-12 23:08:56

Thanks. Yes I think I'm going to have to find a way for him to let the worries out as he doesn't tell me anything either. He is also worried about death and hates Halloween so a bad time of year!

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 23:33:09

He's a little bundle of stress. sad It may be helpful to pop and have a chat with your GP. They can refer him, which will help him access anxiety management techniques.

anchovies Sun 21-Oct-12 23:43:26

We found this book really useful for ds1 (also 8)

But agree the GP might be an idea smile

Mumtogremlins Mon 22-Oct-12 11:50:50

Thanks, book ordered smile Will also make an appt with doc. At least half term coming up so nothing to worry about!

RosemaryandThyme Mon 22-Oct-12 12:53:34

Just a thought but could the cause and effect be unrelated ?

I'm thinking it might be appendix, trapped wind, etc rather than external stress.

goinggetstough Mon 22-Oct-12 13:35:26

www.tinkers-cove.com/guatemalan-worry-people.html
My DS is similar to your DS OP. He has though now left school. He has a small bag of worry people as shown in the above link. He used to put them in his trouser pocket so he could feel them if he was worried. They seemed to work for him! This was of course in addition to us talking things through with him etc but he felt that he was in control and that was the key thing.
Have a lovely half term.

Mumtogremlins Mon 22-Oct-12 20:57:40

Oh they are so cute, thanks. He might like those.

I had thought about the appendix thing back in May but doc ruled it out and he didn't have it again until recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now