Talk

Advanced search

Playground slang _enlighten me

(20 Posts)
sadmum1000 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:43:58

DD5 has started calling things 'sick'. I explained that this is bad but she says 'sick' is the the same as 'cool'. I have told her she is very wrong but just seen someone in the paper and wonder if I am out of touch>

Riddo Sun 21-Oct-12 21:45:20

It means cool but I've banned DS from saying it in the house as it's too revolting

sadmum1000 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:48:55

Really? Amazed but obviously showing my age. But it does explain it....

basin Sun 21-Oct-12 21:51:57

smile so funny. Ds and his friends tried to start saying it when they were about 8 but I think kept forgetting which way round good sick and bad sick were.

I'm of the generation that said 'that's baaaad'.

expansivegirth Sun 21-Oct-12 21:59:11

At my rather post private school the gels went through a period of saying 'stun bun' to express stellar coolness.

I tuned out at 'wiccckkkkked' which is around seven years below me, generationally speaking.

Valpollicella Sun 21-Oct-12 22:00:30

DS has started saying sick. As well as whatever bruv. He is 6 hmm x a million

radicalsubstitution Sun 21-Oct-12 22:05:40

As a secondary school teacher, I can confirm that sick does, indeed, mean 'cool'.

Strange, but true.

Apparently, 'you owned him' means 'you really got one up on him'.

I now feel my age when I realise that the word 'gay' has had three meanings in my lifetime.

marriednotdead Sun 21-Oct-12 22:08:24

The next word for you to relearn is deep. Meaning a myriad of things including really awful, unfair, going too far.

'Aw, that's deep' is a frequent phrase in my house, often uttered when I threaten extra chores for cheekiness etc.

There is a whole new language awaiting you, trust me! (mum of teens)

AGhoulfromtheCrypt Sun 21-Oct-12 22:12:17

Does anyone else's teen say "beast"? As in, "Look at that car, it's well beast"? Or is it just a NW thing?

Juniper904 Mon 22-Oct-12 00:39:34

I'm young enough that I actually used these words when I was at school, but old enough to be told 'you wouldn't understand' by kids.

Sick= poorly, or cool
Cool = low temperature, or wicked
Wicked = evil, or good
Bear= animal, or 'very'

One from my school days... 'Im going to lick you in the balls' = I'm going to hit you in the balls. It, somehow, lost it's umph.

I used to over use 'ming'. When my mum glared, I'd follow it up with a 'vase'. She wasn't convinced.

fortyplus Mon 22-Oct-12 00:46:40

I've heard 'beast' in the context of extreme physical effort - 'They were really beasting themselves' for a team working hard together.

Yes 'sick' is popular at the moment.

Also 'Innit blud' which is a bit of a Mickey-take on the kids who use rapper-speak to be cool

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 22-Oct-12 00:57:14

Jank means bad round here, too. Then you have 'well jel' a phrase that seemingly means 'very jealous'. Sick is indeed taken to mean good.

Totes amazeballs. Eurgh. Meaning really amazing.

I need a translation dictionary to hold a conversation with my 14yo. It's like a different language.

My 10yo overuses 'epic'.

notcitrus Mon 22-Oct-12 05:57:23

Thought sick was the word 3 years ago and it's 'nang' now?

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 22-Oct-12 09:52:34

Peng, too.

pumpkinsweetie Mon 22-Oct-12 09:55:35

My dc latest words picked up from school.
Jack-In-The-Box, Reem, Word, yeah man, minging....

Needingthework Mon 22-Oct-12 10:44:23

DS1, 11, no longer uses sick.

He now uses don, donnish, epic, bear/bare, bruv and otehrs that I just roll my eyes at.

sadmum1000 Mon 22-Oct-12 12:12:16

Thanks all. I clearly have a lot to learn.

aroomofherown Mon 22-Oct-12 19:32:15

Heavy - it was bear/bare heavy, man.

Meaning it was a big deal.

Or Long. That's long - meaning too much effort required

Ineedalife Mon 22-Oct-12 19:32:33

I hate "sick" Dd3 has started saying it this week.

I told her the next time I hear her say to she is going to lose her weeks sweetie rationshock

Most of them I dont mind but that one makes my teeth itchgrin

SuzysZoo Tue 23-Oct-12 17:41:16

My 9 year old has taught 3 year old to say "innit brov. You're sick", which is a compliment apparently. I make 9 year old chocolate bread for his sandwiches. He told me one of his friends had said "you're chocolate rolls are sick". I nearly complained, until son pointed out it was a compliment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now