Talk

Advanced search

phonics help for me please!

(20 Posts)
Ispywith Sun 21-Oct-12 08:45:14

My DD is in year 1 and doing well with her reading and phonics (i have been doing well also up to this point)! She has been saying what they have learnt at school last week and she is talking of the sound "zh". She said it is in the word treasure etc. I have looked up lists of words on-line and have come across visual, conclusion, pleasure . If it is words with ure, sion, ual is that the bit we teach them to sound out as zh? I thought 'ure' 'sion' were sounds already (if that makes sense). Bit confused, please help!

GanglyGiraffe Sun 21-Oct-12 08:48:03

Any help?

http://www.mrthorne.com/?s=Zh

mrz Sun 21-Oct-12 09:54:35

In visual, conclusion and pleasure the "zh" is the spelling <s> in azure the spelling <z> represents the sound "zh"

sounds-write.co.uk/docs/sounds_write_common_spellings_of_the_consonants_and_vowels.pdf

Mashabell Sun 21-Oct-12 18:09:04

Not many English words have the /zh/ sound:

Asia, Indonesia,
invasion, occasion,
decision, division, precision, provision, supervision, vision (television)
explosion,
conclusion, confusion, diffusion, illusion.

Casual, usual,
exposure, leisure, measure, pleasure, treasure.

Azure, bourgeois, fissure.

Masha Bell

Feenie Sun 21-Oct-12 18:23:42

Not many English words have the /zh/ sound:

ge - courgette, collage, mirage, triage, visage, garage, massage, beige, rouge, montage, prestige, corsage

z - seizure

s - fusion, erosion, visual

Best update your lists quickly, Masha. grin

Mashabell Sun 21-Oct-12 18:38:15

Thanks for those Feenie.

A few of them are relatively common. Some have become more so recently (e.g. 'courgette' instead of 'baby marrow').

'Visage' and 'garage' most people now pronounce with a /j/ sound rather than /zh/.
Foreign imports take a while to acquire a regular pronunciation.

These are all from French, as u no doubt know:
courgette, collage, mirage, triage, visage, garage, massage, beige, rouge, montage, prestige, corsage.

mrz Sun 21-Oct-12 18:42:43

'courgette' instead of 'baby marrow' It isn't a baby marrow it's a variety of marrow and that is it's size!

maizieD Sun 21-Oct-12 20:07:05

it's a variety of marrow and that is it's size!

They grow pretty big if you don't pick them. I've come back from holiday to find giant courgettessmile

mrz Sun 21-Oct-12 20:13:43

There are slight differences between marrows and courgettes - thickness of skin and how they grow

mrz Sun 21-Oct-12 20:14:49

Imagine how big they would have been had they been marrows maizieD grin

Ispywith Sun 21-Oct-12 23:17:40

Thank you! Trying to get my head round it, think my DD is much better at phonics then I am!

Mashabell Mon 22-Oct-12 06:58:13

There are slight differences between marrows and courgettes - thickness of skin and how they grow

If u don't pick courgettes when they are small, they grow into marrows. Having been away for a bit, I have a pile of the latter right now.

But back to the topic of this post.
Not many common English words have the /zh/ sound. Most come from French. Quite a few of those that still have a French pronunciation can be triky for children
e.g. 'college - collage', 'message - massage', 'miracle - mirage'.

mrz Mon 22-Oct-12 17:17:03

If you don't pick courgettes when they are small they grow into big courgettes not marrows!

maizieD Mon 22-Oct-12 18:10:37

But back to the topic of this post.

Ooooh, nooooo...courgettes are far more interesting than your thoughts on English spelling, mashawink

mrz Mon 22-Oct-12 18:39:03

Did you know only female courgette flowers grow into courgettes (if fertilised)

maizieD Mon 22-Oct-12 18:48:42

Did you know that courgette flowers are supposedly very nice dipped in a light batter and deep fried?

mrz Mon 22-Oct-12 18:56:57

It's true they are!

mrz Mon 22-Oct-12 18:57:25

but you should only do that to the males

learnandsay Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:11

zh?

Don't you pronounce treasure treje-ure

It's the sound that starts the French word jette (to jump)

mrz Mon 22-Oct-12 19:11:47

&#658;- "zh" can be written/spelt <s> <z> <g> in English and <j> or <g> in French

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now