Talk

Advanced search

Anyone idea what time words are -phonics?

(5 Posts)
mam29 Sat 20-Oct-12 09:16:50

Dd says shes truggling with time words.

I ssuumed was maybe list of words it short time period.

but shes mentioning

barging b

split e?

baffled-is this phonics stuff?

Feenie Sat 20-Oct-12 09:50:15

No, not phonics.

It's using words in writing like first, next, later on, meanwhile, after that, soon, last of all, etc.

mam29 Sat 20-Oct-12 10:12:57

Thanks feemie? any link to find our more.

dd year 2 and struggling with it and teacher got annoyed.

is its quite difficult stuff?

slipslider Sat 20-Oct-12 20:02:47

split e is what we used to call magic e....when we see 'ee' it is pronouced as in sweet. This is also the case when it is split and has the end sound in the middle. Here.....the ee sound is split and the last sound you hear is in the middle h ee r! If that makes sense! It is the same for all vowel sounds split a_e, e_e, i_e, o_e and u_e. Hate, here, bike, note, cube.

Feenie Sun 21-Oct-12 17:30:37

Some more here.

I would practise using them orally with her - the more used she is to using them in sentences, the more likely she is to use them in her writing. You could make it into a game - start with a nursery rhyme, like 'Jack and Jill went up the hill' then add a connective and add to the story, e.g. 'Later on they rolled down it like sausages'....or 'Meanwhile, their mother was wondering where on earth they had got to!' etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now