Talk

Advanced search

Chapter reading books for DS (5) about ORT stage 8

(26 Posts)
alluc Fri 19-Oct-12 15:14:37

Hi - we've just had parents evening for DS (yr 1) and teacher said he was reading well and to ready start doing some basic chapter books at home. Now I'm struggling to think what would be suitable.
We have some 'Horrid Henry' Early readers at home but I must admit I'm not keen on them, we also have Roald Dahl but we read that to him generally as most are a bit too hard for him.

It seems easier to find girls' early reader chapter books and he's quite a boyish boy so would like books on dinosaurs/space/football that sort of thing.
He's on ORT stage 8
Any suggestion please?
Thanks

TessDurbeyfield Fri 19-Oct-12 15:26:10

DD is about the same age and loves the Usborne young readers series. Short chapter books but very colourful and lots of pictures on each page. There are loads so I'm sure you could find some to interest him - traditional stories, stories of knights etc. I think she started on series 1 when she was 4.5 and at about that stage (purple/gold?) and loved them, they were great for a young but confident reader. She started reading series 2 a couple of months ago when she'd just turned 5. Not tried series 3 so not sure how hard they are. Our local library has quite a few so you could try there.

andagain Fri 19-Oct-12 15:28:57

Hi,
The Dinosaur's Diary by Julia Donaldson is a good one for that stage I think. As it's a diary, all the chapters are days in the week and not very long and it's a fun book.

The Twits should be ok for him to read with some help and it is a silly book so very enjoyable.

There is a book called Animal Tales by Dick King-Smith which is also really good but some stories are more complicated than others so you will have to go through it and pick out the ones you think he will be able to read now without getting frustrated.

TessDurbeyfield Fri 19-Oct-12 15:40:24

Found the book band chart for the young readers if you are interested here

radicalsubstitution Fri 19-Oct-12 15:49:09

There is a series called 'Captain Underpants' that was very popular with my niece when she was that age.

Alas, DS (6) is not quite there yet, but he has the books ready and waiting....

simpson Fri 19-Oct-12 16:19:14

Diary of a killer cat by Anne Fine is very good....

alluc Fri 19-Oct-12 16:20:45

Thanks - I'll try some of those suggestions. The usbourne young readers and dinosaur diaries sounds good.

dixiechick1975 Fri 19-Oct-12 16:25:03

Book people has a 6 book time chronicles set for £5.99 - they are short chapter books - says for 8 plus, stage 12 but my 6 yr old is curled up reading one at the moment.

simpson Fri 19-Oct-12 16:30:34

Oh yes, the Times Chronicles are good. Think they are from stage 10-12 IIRC....

Choufleur Fri 19-Oct-12 16:33:24

Dinosaur cove - prob a bit difficult at the minute but could read along with you

redskyatnight Fri 19-Oct-12 16:50:11

Magic Treehouse might fit the bill - they are a bit easier than BeastQuest/Astrosaurs/Dinosaur Cove type books.

shattereddreams Fri 19-Oct-12 21:35:25

Total hijack here, perhaps tessdurbeyfield can help me
I ordered some Usborne readers from our library thanks to helpful suggestions on MN.
Dd reads ORT 6 in school Y1 which is book band Orange. The Usborne books are really easy in comparison. Much more interesting granted but waaaay too easy.

Has anyone else noticed this, Am I imagining it?

Bunnyjo Fri 19-Oct-12 22:28:01

DD loved the Killer Cat series by Anne Fine, especially Killer Cat's Birthday Bash. She also loved the Gaskitt books by Allan Ahlberg, which are a personal favourite of mine. DD has read a couple of the Horrid Henry early readers, but I have to admit I'm not keen...

Another good book is Julia Donaldson's latest novel, The Giants and the Joneses. It was a little long, so we read some of it with DD (she was still 4 and in reception - she turned 5 in late August), but DH loved reading it with her and they thoroughly enjoyed it together.

Tgger Fri 19-Oct-12 22:47:09

Dinosaur's packed lunch by Jacqueline Wilson. Mr Cool by Jacqueline Wilson. Pirate School by Jeremy Strong (might be a bit harder). DS loves Horrid Henry and Dirty Bertie though! Oh yes, the seriously silly stories series, they are fab, not chapter books though www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-wolf-Three-Seriously-Silly-Stories/dp/1841213942/ref=pd_sim_b_2.....DS doesn't seem bothered if they have chapters or not...!
I guess Dinosaur Cove if he's really into Dinosaur's, haven't tried it, we tried Magic Treehouse which lots of people like but I found them dull and DS wasn't that into them either.
Enjoy!
Does your library have a section? It took me a while but ours has a fantastic section going from about this level up- have to be careful as some are a lot harder but there are plenty easier ones too.

TessDurbeyfield Sat 20-Oct-12 10:50:20

Which usborne ones were they shattered? They have young readers and an earlier series which is much easier I think

shattereddreams Sat 20-Oct-12 14:07:40

They are the ones on your helpful link tess.
I think our school books are so old, they seem much harder.
That's positive because she is a good reader after all.

I raised her reading ability at parents eve and was told not possible to be above 1c so early in year hmm but at home she had just read an usborne book past white on your link. from the very last comment, it is a fairy tale with her name in she was bought.

School makes you think you're going mad and inflating your child's ability. She's not hugely confident which causes disparity.

The levels across diff schemes seem very different to my very untrained eye.

alluc Sat 20-Oct-12 20:56:13

Thanks again everyone. I've got a dinosaur cove book to try ( he's already started it actually) and a captain pugwash book which isn't one anyone mentioned but looked quite easy to read with plenty of pictures

I'll definitely try the other suggestions though and have a look for suitable books at the library.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 21-Oct-12 11:04:19

My 5yo is reading at a similar level and loves the seriously silly stories like ghostyshocks and the three scares.

dontletmedowngently Sun 21-Oct-12 13:01:30

My DS in year 1 loves the Astrosaurs series - he can't quite manage them himself yet, but has a chapter every night for a bedtime story. I much prefer them to the endless magic puppy/kitten/whatever twaddle that DD loved at the same age!

TessDurbeyfield Sun 21-Oct-12 14:38:47

Shattered - I had a quick look. She was given some Young Readers series 1 at Christmas when she was on purple/gold reading level I think. I remember that the seemed pretty much ideal at that stage (they are white on that chart) and were about 45 pages, in 4 or 5 chapters and comprehension/reading level looked fine for her. She's now lime/free reader and the series 2 she has aren't on that list (so presumably lime or above) they are a bit longer and the language is a little more complex and they are comfortably in the range that she reads (i.e. not the hardest books she reads but a reasonable level of interest for her).

Hope that is useful

Prarieflower Sun 21-Oct-12 17:00:47

Magic Tree House
Corgi Pups
HH early readers are fab for getting them hooked

then Flat Stanley,easier Roald Dahl(Magic Finger,George's Marvellous Medicine),Kes Grey Daisy books,HH(no particular order)

then Dinosaur Cove

I wouldn't run before you can walk or you could switch him off.Dinosaur Cove has a lot of complex words in.Aren't school advising you as to which ones are suitable,basic chapter books can vary a lot?

alluc Sun 21-Oct-12 17:27:54

Dinosaur cove doesn't seem that hard but there are some more complex words. We already have some magic treehouse books and horrid Henry early readers so will see how we go with these. School haven't advised it was just something the teacher briefly mentioned at parents evening.

Prarieflower Sun 21-Oct-12 17:49:56

They're not hard but I think you need to tread carefully. Sounding out words like wannosaurus and gingko juice could become arduous and make an early reader lose confidence thus putting them off reading.The more they read the better they become.

survivingautumn Sun 21-Oct-12 20:35:41

Totally agree with Prarieflower. I have a Yr 1 child on ORT stage 8 and bought some of the chapter books suggested on another thread. I've since spent such a long time explaining the subtleties of text that we've lost the thread of the story in some cases! Also dd gets tired when too many words are complex and need sounding out.

I've found the Usbourne young readers brilliant for this stage and there are some great titles in the Usbourne Beginners series on underwater and space topics etc (my ds loved these at that age!).

Prarieflower Sun 21-Oct-12 21:01:11

I agree re Usbourne,they have some quite nice ones.If you go to your local library there are loads of other schemes too.On the Usbourne site I think they have a list of which level matches the school colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now